Question Bought used MacBook Pro (believe its from 2011) I need help transferring videos and photos from Windows Laptop and old Windows Desktop

Mar 10, 2019
Hi
I apologize in advance that this post may be long.

I have an old Compaq Presario desktop computer which I Purchased brand new well over 10 years ago. At the time it also but dazzle so I could transfer my kids VHS tapes to DVDs. I got half of the VHS tapes or more than half of them onto the desktop computer and I got several DVDs made. I was in the process of moving and I have my mom keep the desktop at her house during this process, about two years later I got it back And went to start it up and it would not turn on. This computer has about three years of uploaded pictures of my son and daughter when they were younger plus the VHS tapes which were not transferred to DVD’s and I’m sure many other videos.

Six years ago on April 2, 2013 May 15-year-old daughter died after she went into cardiac arrest. They were never able to find a reason for her death or why she went into cardiac arrest. I have been absolutely freaking out about trying to keep all of the videos and pictures that I have of her safe, she had to iPod touch devices which both had a lack codes on them she gave me the password but I never thought I would need to remember them so there are hundreds of videos of her Leading up to her death, it is so sad that I cannot get the videos off of these devices. I have not had a lot of money to buy back up devices. Or to pay to have the desktop computer looked at to see if they could at least get the videos and pictures off of it. I did buy a cheap windows computer when she passed away so I can at least try to back up the SD card files and some of the DVDs onto the windows computer but it is very slow it was a very cheap computer and basically all I have done is put pictures and videos on it and it barely runs. Recently I was able to purchase a used MacBook Pro and I Would really like to transfer everything from the laptop onto the MacBook Pro and somehow get it hopefully the videos and pictures off of the desktop computer. I’m figuring I need an external hard drive just to be safe because these pictures are now priceless they’re all I have left is my daughter. After buying the MacBook Pro I realized that it not have a DVD drive… I swear I feel like this is never ending. :((( So I am thinking I also need to purchase an optical drive that is easy enough for me to use on both of the windows laptop and the MacBook. Again I don’t have a lot of money to do all of this but I do have some and it is so important that I get everything I can possibly get saved. I still have a box of VHS tape’s that have not even been put onto a computer yet and we all know that those are just decaying as they sit in the shoebox I have them in. Recently I tried to watch one of them on a VCR That I have and the video tape snapped in half halfway through the movie. :((((

I really don’t know where to start, I am for the most part computer literate, but all of these different devices and USB things for the MacBook and everything I am just kind of overwhelmed and need some advice. I also heard that there is a company that can get videos and pictures off of iPhones and iPod Touch devices Would have lockcodes on them. I also heard that it cost thousands of dollars. One of her iPod touch devices the screen stopped responding to touch it is all so frustrating. Probably the worst part of it all is that she backed up all of her videos from her iPod onto her little sisters computer, her dad‘s girlfriend that he has been with for 15 years, her little sister is 15 years old now my daughter would be 21, her dad‘s girlfriend will not give me the videos or the pictures of my daughter. Last summer she actually emailed me and sent me two videos and told me “I’m having a day so take it for what it’s worth“ I got two videos of my own child! Then I’ve been told that they lost all of the Videos Because water got onto the laptop. I know better than this because I know that they would have done the same thing I have been trying to do and saved everything they could as soon as possible when she passed away. And then after 5 1/2 years someone recently reported to Facebook that she passed away and Facebook memorialized her account! AFTER OVER FIVE YEARS! I wanted so bad to make her one of those photo books with all of her comments and everything from her Facebook but again I have not had the finances to do any of this. When she died I had a very very very hard time and I’m still having a very hard time, I have severe anxiety and I have a very hard time leaving my own home. I was approved for disability about a year ago so now I do have some sort of income for the first time since she passed away so I am slowly I wanted so bad to make her one of those photo books with all of her comments and everything from her Facebook but again I have not had the finances to do any of this. When she died I had a very very very hard time and I’m still having a very hard time, I have severe anxiety and I have a very hard time leaving my own home. I was approved for disability about a year ago so now I do have some sort of income for the first time since she passed away so I am slowly trying Trying to preserve the memories that I can.

Thank you so much for reading this entire post. I just don’t know where to start, what I should buy to save everything for ever if I can even get into the desktop Computer, obviously I am going to have to buy pieces at a time and not buy it all at once but I guess I just really need some help figuring out what to do. Thank you so much.

(If needed I can figure out exactly what the desktop computer model number is also with the MacBook Pro and with the windows laptop that probably all needs to be known I can post that information tomorrow)