Brand new Alienware 15 R2 dead

Jp2slow

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Ok , so I got the basic model with i5 6300 8gb ram 1tb hdd 965m . Could not pass up price exspecially the deal I got . Anyway only thing I did was put in 500gb m.2 Ssd evo850

Today was playing some World of Warships while my kids and I waited to go out to dinner with my father. I decided to shut her down that way wife would not check browser history. Emails ect.

Well I forgot something I needed went to turn it back on ...... Wtf nothing happened .

I almost always have it plugged in so battery should be fine . Green like on power box lit , but no led for battery on laptop .

Anyone have any ideas ? I'm thinking mobo fried somehow but dam that would be odd for a laptop used for a week . He'll world of warships is only thing on there right now because I have not had time to play with and my rdesktop s used for heavy gaming .

Thanks in advance

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
First make sure that the cord between the power adapter and the laptop is not damaged (chewed on by a pet, etc.) and also make sure that the power connector is securely in the laptop. If all that checks out, try unplugging the charger from the wall, wait for the light to go out then unplug it from the laptop, then remove the battery from the laptop for thirty seconds, push the power button on the laptop a few times to clear any leftover power in the voltage delivery systems and check the connector on the battery for bent pins or hairs in the connector etc. then put the battery back in and hook the power adapter back up and see if that fixes it or not.

Please reply with results

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, he did not say that.
But for a brand new device, obviously still under warranty, that might be a first step. Instead of random troubleshooting out here.

Jp2slow

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
No I did not call them but I did just get off phone with them after doing some research . I was hoping it would be something simple . Dell believes it's the mobo as well but can't send out a tech till Tuesday . Thank you everyone for input.

I did try and flirt with the girl to send out a 6700 with 970 combo instead . She did giggle some but I think it was a no :(

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

I thought he went to dinner and came back after forgetting something and that's when the problem occurred... Maybe I just read the post wrong

USAFRet

Illustrious

So do I.
But coming to a Forum would, for me, be a third step.

1. My own troubleshooting
2. Call the manufacturer. "Hey, whats up with this?"
3. Ask random, albeit knowledgeable, people.

Jp2slow

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
No electrical storm . It's blows my mind thing running like a beast . Shutting down the correct way and it going black . It's reminds me when you flip on kitchen light and the bulb goes out after just replacing the darn thing

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Point taken

Jp2slow

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Troubleshoot
Ask a trusted MB where solution could be something I missed
Deal with customer service and waste God knows how long .

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Yeah... It's a shame how many end up making the problem worse, or taking their machine to a shop and paying them to fix it when it was under manufacturer warranty.