Brand new hp laptop running extremely slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2018
So I have only installed chrome in the new hp 15 bs146tu, which I brought on 6 June. I signed in to chrome, then ran a scan on pre-installed McAfee.

Now it's working so slowly that I can't even open chrome, or even edge on it. Even opening a folder or control panel seems to take minutes.

Specs:
I5 8250 U
4 GB ram DDR4 sdram
1 TB HDD

Solution
4GB of ram, a standard HDD and WIndows 10, is perfect example of how not to configure a laptop that manufacturers, are fleecing the public with.

Nobody should be buying a machine that doesn't come with a minimum of 8GB and a SSD, thats just to let Windows 10 do it's thing and then you have the performance hit of all the pre-installed bloatware. As for McAfee AV, I won't lower myself to swear in the forums on what I think of it !

My choice, add 4GB of ram and replace the HDD with a SSD, doing this now is still cheaper than getting it from HP pre-installed.
Make a backup of the recover partition to USB/DVD for the future.
Use the media creation tool to create an standard USB source for W10.
Install from that zapping any existing...
Jun 8, 2018
this is strange
i think the antivirus is occupying a large ammount of ram in the bacground
so u better uninstall it and if you need a antivirus then try to get Avast or Norton

USAFRet

Illustrious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from vipulsonivp16 : "Brand new hp laptop running extremely slow"

das_stig

Distinguished
4GB of ram, a standard HDD and WIndows 10, is perfect example of how not to configure a laptop that manufacturers, are fleecing the public with.

Nobody should be buying a machine that doesn't come with a minimum of 8GB and a SSD, thats just to let Windows 10 do it's thing and then you have the performance hit of all the pre-installed bloatware. As for McAfee AV, I won't lower myself to swear in the forums on what I think of it !

My choice, add 4GB of ram and replace the HDD with a SSD, doing this now is still cheaper than getting it from HP pre-installed.
Make a backup of the recover partition to USB/DVD for the future.
Use the media creation tool to create an standard USB source for W10.
Install from that zapping any existing partitions found on the disk.
Use the licence key that came with the laptop, sometimes under the battery, if it doens't auto-activate.
Install drivers from HP website.
Windows Defender AV that comes with W10 is good enough for most people that don't go to iffy website, especially if you use Chrome and the Windows Defender and Disconnect advert blocker plugins.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=nOD/rLJHOac&ranSiteID=nOD_rLJHOac-FzDsnXI8uRimjGVDls1j3A&tduid=(d19a8d4fb6033f2de222880337ee77f9)(256380)(2459594)(nOD_rLJHOac-FzDsnXI8uRimjGVDls1j3A)()

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.