News Breath of the Wild ruined traditional Zelda for me

Feb 25, 2021
The only other game in the series that comes close is The Wind Waker. Check it out if you can. Hopefully it comes to Switch soon.

Feb 26, 2021
Going to be honest here, Breath of the Wild just hasn't and I don't think it will ever be fun for me. I enjoyed Zelda primarily growing up for its linear storytelling and characters, and came to love its setting, music, and gameplay as a result. Breath of the Wild has seemed to be an accumulation of everything I didn't like about Zelda, and now I appreciate the older games more (and am starting to get back into them)

Reactions: ClanPsi

ClanPsi

Estimable
Oct 23, 2016
Pro tip: If you want to play a good Zelda game, play the most highly rated ones. Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past should be your first stops. Twilight Princess is absolute garbage.

Mar 2, 2021
This article is a prime example of what's wrong with the kids today (goddamn whipper snappers). The kid picks up a remake of an old Gameboy game and wonders why it's rigid. Not Ocarina of Time, not Majora's Mask, not Twilight Princess or Wind Waker, no, he plays Link's Awakening and says it doesn't live up. Yeesh.

See, alternatively, I severely disliked BOTW. It ruined the series for me. It's short, but has a lot of chores so it makes you think it's a long game. It has a lot of items, but it has little need or use for the majority of them. It has a big world, but it's mostly empty and has limited enemies. It has lots of weapons, but they all shatter like glass.

I could go on all day rehashing the common complaints (rain, broken weapons, lack of direction, ect), but honestly my biggest complaint is simply the lack of imagination from the game and it's fans.

The first area I actually liked. The plateau gave me purpose and direction, it used it's survival mechanics well, it fully grabbed me and pulled me in. As I was running around, I stopped at the cliff side and noticed all these interesting things in the distance.
My mind went wild. What underground lava filled catacombs would be out there? What kind of forgotten castles steeped in the woods to be explored? How many legendary weapons and unique items would there be, and what would they do? What kind of magic powers would I find? Just how many dungeons are there?

F'n none. The answer to all of the above is F'n none. At best, I get a pathetic version of the master sword that I use more for breaking rocks because it will repair later on, and their dumb wiimote gimick crap with locking time and lifting things (hello fotnite). No hookshot, no magic boomarang, no classic tunic (the blue was shit), no dungeons no hidden areas, shit a quarter of the map are just empty cliffs lining the play area. NO IMAGINATION.

And honestly I'm a little pissed. Zelda is the only Nintendo property I cared about and followed, I would purposely seek out every one despite otherwise not even looking nintendo's direction. I'm less angry the game is what it is, but more or less pissed off that a game series I grew up with and loved (The first game is only 2 years younger than me) has been hijacked, it's named ripped off and glued to some Monster Hunter/ Dark Souls/ Fortnite rip off Nintendo wanted to make, and now there's no coming home for me. Every Zelda game will look like this now. And that is honestly extremely sad to me. There are already plenty of brain dead "open world" games with more map than character, nintendo really could have left our quaint, linear dungeon experience alone.

Good news is, I won't have to seek these games out anymore. I always borrowed my buddies nintendo's for the Link experience, and now I won't have to lol. Honestly... I feel like if more fans hadn't basically dropped 4 Benjamins to play the game, they wouldn't have liked it so much. Cognitive dissonance is a beach.

Last edited: