Mayhardu

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Hi

i know there are other threads like this but I feel this issue is a bit unique..

I dropped my laptop right on the corner where the HD is kept.

It wouldn't boot up so I plugged the HD into my other pc to test it. The HD had 3 partitions on it - windows install (with all my pics) plus two empty ones.

The empty partitions show up but the windows partition is nowhere to be found. I have even used a couple of recovery programs and they also show the empty partitions but not the windows partition.

How is it that I physically damaged my HD and broke the only partition i care about but not the others?

Is there anyway I can save the files on my windows partition on my broken HD? It cant be a total lost cause as the other partitions do show so the HD has life.

Professional recovery isn't an option as I am totally broke.

Thanks for your help

Solution
Hi there Mayhardu,

I want to start with that we can not be really sure what part was damaged from the hit. In my opinion a physical damage may be a cause for this partition to become missing. Have you tried some partition recovery software? If not, you can try that too.
If this does not work, you can run the WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. You can start with the quick test and see the S.M.A.R.T results. After that you can run the extended test. Keep in mind that if there are some bad sectors on the drive, the information on them may be lost by this process.

WD DLG tool: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810&lang=en

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Mayhardu,

I want to start with that we can not be really sure what part was damaged from the hit. In my opinion a physical damage may be a cause for this partition to become missing. Have you tried some partition recovery software? If not, you can try that too.
If this does not work, you can run the WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. You can start with the quick test and see the S.M.A.R.T results. After that you can run the extended test. Keep in mind that if there are some bad sectors on the drive, the information on them may be lost by this process.

WD DLG tool: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810&lang=en

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Solution