Broken Amplifier and help setting up audio system

LooQi

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Hey guys, my Uncle recently gave me an old JVC MCA-V7E/5407, this is pretty old school. I have to older wharfedale subwoofers and a couple of JVC speakers. I set it up in my room at university and a bit of smoke came out the back :O I'm pretty sure one of the resistors blew, my friend later told me that there's a specific way of setting the sound system up. Apparently the speakers have different currents and therefore I must use specific settings etc. I hope I can get the amp fixed as it only seems to be a minor break but does anyone know how to set up a sound system properly without any more breakages?

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
there doesnt appear to be any sub connections on this amp. were these powered subs? i would say that is what blew the amp. basically you can set this up for stereo or quadrophonic. the speaker impedance is 8 ohms so make sure your speakers are 8 ohm speakers.you probably cooked an output transistor but that is just a guess. look also for domed or leaking capacitors although usually you hear a loud pop when they blow.if you are serious about making this work i would be inclined to take it to a repair shop to have it looked at. explain what you did to the repair guy,this is very important for him to make an accurate diagnosis.

LooQi

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I believe my sub woofers are passive ones, they are Wharfedale Denton 2XPs so pretty old too. Not too sure if they are 8 ohms or not though? I will most likely take it to a repair shop, the amp isn't too old for repairs do you think? But yeah best scenario I think is to take to a shop see if they can repair it and then ask for some tips on setting up.

edit here:
Sorry I've been calling the wharfedales sub woofers, I think they are just main speakers really?

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
they are indeed main speakers. yeah it would be easier to explain how to connect the speakers with the amp in front of me. should be 4 speaker connections on the back so pretty straight forward.

LooQi

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Yeah I had thought that I had connected them properly but turns out maybe not. I'll head to a shop anyways and see what they can do for me, thanks for your help anyways