Broken DELL hard drive

MasterDell

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hey guys the hard drive on my lap top is broken and I would like to replace it. I have all of the data I need off of it.. All I want now is to take out the hard drive, put in a new one, re install win7 and then put back all of the photos from the other hard drive which are currently on a different computer. Where I am stuck is that I do not know how to get windows 7 off of it then reinstall it.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron M5040..

I was looking at this HDD: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236562&cm_re=laptop_hdd-_-22-236-562-_-Product

wmpjoe2

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
You will have to reinstall Win 7 on the new hard drive. I would suggest using the OEM copy of Windows 7 if it came with the Dell. Otherwise you will have to find a way to get one through them (legally) or go about it in a different way.

If you have a drive wire, you can transfer the data that way IF the data is recoverable. Try recuva if you run into issues to see if it is recoverable or not.

MasterDell

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Like I said, all of the data I need off of the hard drive is on a different computer. The laptop is actually my uncle's but I have it right now. I will ask if he has the OEM windows 7 and Ill get back. Thanks for all of your help right now I really appreciate it :)

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
not quite.what you need to do is set your optical drive to boot from (usb if thats how you are doing it),then insert your install media (dvd or usb) and reboot your machine.this will take you to the windows install screen.select custom install which will format the drive and install windows.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Did the version of windows that was on the old hdd on there where it was purchased?

Or did someone install it?? With a version that was purchased? If you purchased it / then installed it and dont have a cd you can download a legit ISO burn it. As long as you have the key

Simple answers here.
1) You want to get laptop with new drive working - Install Windows, but missing CD, either A) Call Dell and provide the serial number etc. to ORDER a replacement CD or B) Head down to Walmart / Etc. and buy WIndows 8 (Windows 7 has no longer been sold since last year).

2) Data on secondary PC - Use external drive to copy the 'pictures' and other things by hand then copy those to the working laptop. NO you can NOT drag and drop the entire 'old' HD to the new HD, programs and all. If you can access the drive you have to manually do all the finding of 'stuff' and drag and drop.

3) EASIEST SOLUTION: Take OLD drive, Uncle Laptop, New Drive IN laptop to IT Store, tell them what you want to do and let them handle it. This gets VERY techinical very quickly and isn't "step by step" perfectly outlinable over a forum. There are many 'gotchas' that can trick up a noob to this sort of 'IT Support' your trying to provide.

MasterDell

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
All right, so idk if this is the windows 7 key sticker on the bottom but there is a stick that says "windows 7 Home prem OA" then it has Microsoft on the side and then there is a product key that is 25 digit key using numbers and letters.. Then there is a bar code below the key.

MasterDell

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
If this were a desktop it would take me 2 seconds with my eyes closed. But I am the biggest nub with laptops for hardware. I am definitely aware that you can't drag and drop programs. All he cared about was pictures and I have all of those right now on another computer and an external hard drive. The rest can be thrown away along with the hard drive. But what youre saying is that I will not be able to throw the new hard drive in, get a windows disk and then put in the product key when prompted?

Paul NZ

Admirable
Get the ISO's here, you'll need something to burn it to a dvd. Or a program to extract it to a USB flash drive

These are legit ISO's. All you need is a valid key. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether it'll activate in your case. We'll soon find out

http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/

Just make sure you get the right ISO (if 32 or 64 bit was on that you need the right version). And if it was installed with SP1 get the version+SP1 ISO. And get the right language

OP - STOP. If you can't determine THAT is the MS Key, take all this to a IT Mom and Pop and let them handle it, you are OUT OF YOUR league here. That is REAL basic, and if you don't know that, then you will 'screw' this up as you plod along (maybe lose all that data). It gets ALOT more technical, and if you can't figure out what a Microsoft Product key is, you have a HIGH probability of very seriously messing things up accidentally.

MasterDell

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Haha I don't know if that is the product key or not because it isn't my laptop.. I know a guy that will be able to get this thing going without a problem. I just wanted to see if it would have been easy so I could do it myself. Thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it :)