Broken graphics card? And can I replace?

kfcrobbie

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
Hi,

I'm having some serious laptop issues, and any help would be much appreciated!

I fairly recently inherited the laptop from brother (it's about 3 years old), it's not a branded one as such but is from one of these websites where they give you a list of options for each component, and they then build and test it. After a few weeks with no problems, I had a few instances of BSOD with the message "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed". First few times this happened I could restart windows fine and had about 30 mins before BSOD again, but eventually it just went to a black screen during the loading screen.

Figuring it is the graphics card, I went through safe mode, disabled it, and the laptop now works(ish) using the onboard graphics card. It would be much appreciated if I could get a few answers, before I give up and take it to a repair shop:

- Does it sound like the graphics card is definitely broken? It seems odd that it didn't break instantly, but I have tried reinstalling windows, removing and reinstalling all drivers etc
- Can I replace the graphics card with the same (or a cheaper!) card? I understand the usual answer is no with laptops, but as this one is custom built I would think perhaps it's possible? The specs are:

Intel i7-2760QM processor
16GB Ram
Motherboard - Clevo P150HMx (I THINK!)
AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series

Sorry, I don't really know what specs would be useful so please let me know if any more info is needed!

Thanks a lot for any help,
Rob