Broken Laptop Screen (I Think)

olliewebster

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Hi,

I've got an Acer 8920G, and recently it fell of a chair because I tripped over the wire. Then the screen froze so I turned it off but now whenever I try to turn it on nothing appears on the screen, the lights come on and I can hear the hard drive, its just that the screen is blank.

There's a repair person coming to pick it up tomorrow, but then it'll take 2 weeks to repair. Is there a way I can fix this myself?

Any help would be appreciated

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
if u have a pc monitor (your friend, neighbor) hook it up to the laptop vga port
then press FN and monitor out key to see if it shows on the screen.

usualy a broken screen isn't backed up by manufacturers..good luck

olliewebster

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

I'm going to try and hook it up to another monitor now.

When I rang up the manufacturer I told them the problem and they're going to take it in for repair, so they should fix it.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
yes they will say we will, but first they need to check the problem and once they find a cracked screen they'lll return it and say its a phisical issue and you must've broke it on purpose (they can be evil and blame u) but the best thing to do is say you didnt drop it, you just woke up on a nice morning day then u took it out of the bag and that's how it is. u dont have cats, dogs or children just you lol..acer are very hard on warranty services. but i wish you can get lucky

extended warranty, does cover you for broken screens.. depends..read your terms.

olliewebster

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I've tried connecting it to an external screen and it doesn't work, maybe the screen has to be configured inside windows? I'm sure they will fix it, I described to the man on the phone what happened and he booked a repair for me, plus I have an extended warranty.

Also, I don't think the screen is cracked, maybe just a backlight problem or something.

Anyway, thanks for your help :)

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
if your sound wasnt on mute you should've heard the windows logo sound wich guarantees a problem with the screen. if not and if it didnt work with external lcd
then it could be the motherboard or the graphic chip. funny as i am typing this a client just came with the same laptop as yours needed a replacement screen but in his case crack was visible. I am charging him £189 for the job. lucky for you warranty saved you.