Broken Screen, Using HDMI to see Screen, Tried Updating Windows and Now I Am Stuck on a Blank TV.

trinitycooper7

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I have a Windows 10 HP Notebook - 15-ba079dx (Touch) (ENERGY STAR) laptop, and I foolishly broke my screen, (not the touchscreen, the actual screen) but that isn't the main problem. I wasn't able to pay for repairs, so instead I simply attached an HDMI cable and plugged it into my TV. I was doing just fine like that, until a Windows feature update was ready to install. So I started the download before I went to bed, and when I woke up this morning, it didn't seem to be finished since I couldnt see my screen on my TV. I gave it some time but after an hour, I realized that the screen only went to the TV when the PC reached the lock screen, so that meant that it couldnt reach the lock screen. I thought it might be asking for some user action, so I pressed enter thinking that was a good idea, but it didn't work. I tried to boot it into safe mode and when I tried that it seemed to work at first but then it did the same thing like it was asking for a user action. I tried several times, yet got the same result. What do i need to do to boot it and skip the update? I have already tried safe mode, power cycle, and random clicking, to no avail. All i need to do is reach the lock screen, or maybe there is some way to see my screen before I get to the lock screen, anything works but I'd rather not have to factory reset/system restore.
Thanks for any help,

Logan