Broken speakers or an effect of sound staging?

LudinK

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Hi, so i got a used pair of PSB The Amazing Alpha's bookshelf speakers and i have noticed that in some songs i hear a certain instrument only from one speaker. For instance, in "J Cole - Apparently" the piano only comes from the right speaker and having only used computer speakers, i don't know whether this is due to a speaker malfunction or is this the quality of the speaker allowing me to be able to picture the sound stage.

Solution
Hello.

This should be perfectly normal. In some songs, the recording is done only in that side, for giving you a sense of being in the middle of the concert. The "sound stage" as you call it.

If you replay the music and it repeats at the same exact moment when you play it back again, it's certainly meant to be. ^^ If it's random though, there's maybe an issue with your wiring. But like I said, it's normal. It's what you should hear.

If you never heard it before...something was clearly wrong with your previous setup.
Hello.

This should be perfectly normal. In some songs, the recording is done only in that side, for giving you a sense of being in the middle of the concert. The "sound stage" as you call it.

If you replay the music and it repeats at the same exact moment when you play it back again, it's certainly meant to be. ^^ If it's random though, there's maybe an issue with your wiring. But like I said, it's normal. It's what you should hear.

If you never heard it before...something was clearly wrong with your previous setup.

Solution
Unlikely speaker malfunction, but you can verify this very easily by playing the same song, then swap the speakers and play again, even use a pair of earphones.

One thing you want to make sure though, is, the speakers must be wired IN-PHASE, positive-to-positive, negative-to-negative.

LudinK

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

Yea, i replayed it this time from my laptop to make sure it wasn't the device either and its the same parts always.

LudinK

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Just played the song on my brothers Klipsch promedia 2.1's and realized that it is the same on his speakers however i never really payed attention to it back then i guess.