broken video file

tipsjt

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Hi i have a problem with some video files that i cannot get to play. The videos were first rerecorded from my tv on to an external hard drive and were a Mts file which were about 7 to 11gb for each file and worked perfectly fine.
So then i converted them with handbrake to mp4 and once they were converted they would not play i have tried different video player such as vlc and quicktime and the files have not worked on a single one. the mp4s file size are roughly between 4.5 to 7gb per file and another thing i have noticed is that they do not show a runtime in finder or on vlc. This has happened to exactly 8 files but i have done the same thing to other files without a single problem and i think that the problem is only happening to files that are over 4gb.i also did use ubuntu on a virtual machine to convert some of the files but they also had the same problem.
so is there anyway i can repair these files to get them working ?

My computer specifications are i am using a late 2009 iMac
with 4gb ram
intel core 2 duo 3.06ghz processor
and 500 gb hard drive

Solution
Did you have large file size checked. If you dont have it checked files above 4gb can become corrupted.
also make sure the media players you use are 64bit versions if they can be
first I would try a different media player for ubuntu such as http://banshee.fm/about/features/
if your okay with it.

also download Mediainfo @ http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Ubuntu . It is a program that gives specs about a video so i could better diagnosis the problem so to speak
open mediainfo then search for a video file. Under the view tab at the top click text and copy/paste what you get back to me

tipsjt

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
this is all the info it gave from the media info program
General
Complete name : /Volumes/MAC OS/Movies/North by Northwest.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 4.71 GiB

and it doesn't have much media info as i tried it with another video file which had a lot more information than this so could this be the reason it is not playing as it does not have any information attached to it ?

is the video codec set to x264 in video tab

tipsjt

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
i believe that is the codec that it was set at when i converted it but there is no mention of this in media info i also just tried playing the file on a windows machine with windows media player and vlc but again the file would not play