BSOD- hard drive not the issue- what else could it be?

May 9, 2018
My laptop was running incredibly slow so I was preparing to do a reinstallation of Windows. I was cleaning up files preparing to back up onto an external hard drive to do a clean install. I removed temp folders and ran ccleaner and thought I’d try a restart to see if it helped before I did the reinstall- but I got a BSOD and it kept happening, with different messages each time. I took my laptop to a repair store and they tried a new hard drive- but they can’t install windows even then. The system freezes every time. They told me it’s possible that there’s no solution and it’s an unknown hardware problem- but I believe I caused the problem just by messing around with temp files and ccleaner so I feel like there should be a solution. If it’s not the hard drive- what could it be?

Solution
Not possible to tell excact what the problem may be, but I would have started by running Memtest on the machine just to rule out defect ram.

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Not possible to tell excact what the problem may be, but I would have started by running Memtest on the machine just to rule out defect ram.

Solution