BSOD hardware failure ?

gggwatts

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I have a new laptop computer, Windows 8.1 that arrived March 3, 2014. I have had multiple blue screens of death and spent many hours trying to repair this. I learned a lot, but my efforts have not been successful. Then I noticed that:

1 Windows Minidump indicated 4 .dmp files dated 21 through 25 February.
2 The Event Viewer indicated multiple warnings and errors in February, the month before my computer arrived.
3 The BlueScreenViewer showed the Minidump 4 .dmp files all with the February crash times associated with the BSOD messages below.

System service exception.
DPC watchdog violation
DRIVER IRQ not less or equal
USBPort.sys
Kernel security check failure
K modem not handled

My question is not how to fix this, but rather doesn’t this mean that there were problems in February before I received this computer in March? Although Memest 86+ and multiple hard drive tests have been negative doesn’t this suggest a hardware problem to you?

Thank you.

Solution
You're welcome and welcome to Toms Hardware.

I think you fixed it. Drivers can be buggy and cause some head scratching. All is well that ends well!
G

It does suggest that there was something wrong although there probably is with all new pc's its just the extent of the problems in the event view read up on the problems and they may indicate that there was a problem before you even got it.

RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
What laptop?

The dumps indicate drivers... I would visit the manufacturers website and download all drivers associated with the model of laptop, uninstall and reinstall. Start with chipset drivers first...

If I were to guess, I'd say USB drivers are causing the issue or a device you are using on USB.

And to answer your last question, yes there were issues before you bought the machine.

gggwatts

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Thank you for the good advice. Early on the mini dump and blue screen identified USBPort.SYS, and I did remove it.

Later dcsam64.sys driver was removed. In order to do this I had to attach my 1st Passport external drive , which probably goes back to at least 2011 if not 2010. On several occasions I have had several USB devices attached at one time using all 4 USB ports. I don’t think I’ll do that again. Anyway, all the hard drive tests and the memtest86+ , along with the intrinsic Windows memory tests were all negative.

I finally broke down and reinstalled Windows and I’ve not had any problems or blue screen abnormalities since that time.

Thank you again.

RussK1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
You're welcome and welcome to Toms Hardware.

I think you fixed it. Drivers can be buggy and cause some head scratching. All is well that ends well!

Solution