budget College Laptop

enigma04

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, Next month I'm going to move to a dorm and I've been looking on the internet for laptop to which my budget can only afford a laptop with a low-end graphic card. So which one do you think should I choose:
1. Geforce 920
2. Geforce 940mx
3. Radeon R6
4. Radeon R7

And if any of you are using one of these, can you tell me your average graphic settings and fps on any game? Thanks

Solution
Accounting software does not require a lot of CPU processing performance unless you are building advanced financial models. Therefore, any Intel i3 / i5 / i7 "U" model CPU will be fine. I work with 20GB Excel files from time to time with a Core i5-4200u that have a lot of formulas and the performance is decent enough when the spreadsheet needs to recalculate.

The cheapest laptop with a 940mx is the following Acer laptop at Newegg which is currently on sale for $550. It ends in 16 hours as of this post. You get free shipping and Newegg does not charge taxes unless you live in CA (Headquarters), NJ orTN (Warehouses).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315672&cm_re=940mx-_-34-315-672-_-Product

enigma04

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Well for gaming of course, since i was asking for the graphic cards

My point was for you to tell us your major to make sure the laptop was matched appropriately.

You can get a low end laptop with intel 7xxxU processor and one of those cards, but if you need to do anything for your major that requires actual computing power it is going to fall severely short.

ALso whenever you ask for budget computer, knowing what that budget is greatly helps us make the best suggestion for you.

From a gaming perspective you will want a the nVidia 940mx. That is assuming the R6 and R7 are integrated graphics core. If the "Radeon R7" is the M445, then that is a dedicated GPU, but it is not as powerful as the 940mx.

As far as processors goes, dual core Intel Core i3 are just as powerful or more powerful than AMD's A6 and A8 series APUs. AMD A10 and A12 series APUs are generally not as powerful as dual core Intel Core i5 CPUs. But that generally depends on exactly which AMD APUs and Intel CPUs you are comparing. When AMD releases mobile Ryzen APUs, then that will change the situation.

If your major does not require any specific specifications, then I suppose any general laptop will do.

enigma04

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

I'm in accounting so I mostly use my laptop for games. My budget is around $500.

Accounting software does not require a lot of CPU processing performance unless you are building advanced financial models. Therefore, any Intel i3 / i5 / i7 "U" model CPU will be fine. I work with 20GB Excel files from time to time with a Core i5-4200u that have a lot of formulas and the performance is decent enough when the spreadsheet needs to recalculate.

The cheapest laptop with a 940mx is the following Acer laptop at Newegg which is currently on sale for $550. It ends in 16 hours as of this post. You get free shipping and Newegg does not charge taxes unless you live in CA (Headquarters), NJ orTN (Warehouses).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315672&cm_re=940mx-_-34-315-672-_-Product

Solution