Budget desktop replacement laptop for medium-graphics gaming (Questionaire Filled Out)

Yue2305

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Hello Community,

since my new job suddenly requires me to live out of the suitcase, and I want to play some games after work at the hotel, I'm thinking about buying a laptop in addition to my desktop. Since I don't want to spend too much, I'm considering buying a used laptop from a certified vendor (warranty would be nice to have I suppose).

Thanks so much for your help!

-----

1. What is your budget?
I'm looking to spend not more than 350€-500€

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Size/weight really doesn't matter too much, neither do I need a big screen, nor would a heavier laptop be annoying since I travel by car. Both is fine I guess.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Again, not really a priority.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement, some portable use can be nice but it would be mainly for the desk at the hotel.

5. How much battery life do you need?
See 4, not too much.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
So yea, I want to play games, but I don't need to play the newest high graphics aaa games, I can do that on the weekend at home on my desktop. I'm not too interested in shooters anyway and play alot of round based strategy.

So If I could play League of Legends at Medium-High Settings, looking at minimum 30-40 fps even in big teamfights, that would totally be enough. Other games I enjoy: - Endless Legend - Civilization 5, maybe 6, Terraria/Starbound, Don't Starve, even Freecol - you can see that I'm not too keen on graphics.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I use alot of large Microsoft OneNote documents and would like to work smoothly on that, also for translation work tms software like deja-vu or trados. (If you can't gauge what they need, don't worry about it they're usually not too demanding.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Hm hm. Is an SSD worth the reduce in capacity and increased price? I don't think I'd need too much space, think I could even live with a 50-100gb ssd.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I was looking at a few certified vendors for used laptops in germany. However most of the laptops on these sites have intel hd integrated graphics - I've been warned against that, but maybe at this price I don't have a choice?

Anyway, here are 3 sites I looked at:
- http://www.lapstore.de/a_conf.php?shop=lapstore&lang=x&a=19240
- https://www.greenpanda.de/refurbished/de/shop/notebook/dell-latitude-e5420/?shop_category&var=true&card=672&variant=002A
- http://www.hello-laptop.de/

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I don't think my needs will change too much in the future, so I'm looking for a compromise here. Keep it budget, but still be able to play low-medium graphics games for the next 2-3 years maybe? Again I have a pretty nice desktop pc, so it's just to relax after work.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't really need an optical drive at all.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I wouldn't know, really. Dell comes highly recommended by my friends, but I lack personal experience when it comes to laptops.

13. What country do you live in?
Germany

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.