SinisterPM

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
TL;DR below!

I've always had laptops that ran latest games at low to med level at low frame rates and I've always wanted a gaming laptop, and now i'm given the chance to have one but at a budget (max $1400~).
I've been reading reviews and commentaries and making excel charts on my own as if it was my job or something and still am unsure of what to buy and when and if it's the right time (still have my Vaio) to buy a gaming computer or wait it out till December (?)

However I have come across these two laptops which where I am locally are outstanding for the price:

- Lenovo Ideapad Y510p i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz 16 GB ram 1 TB disk space, GT 750m GDDR5 2 GB. Local price: $1428

- HP Envy 15-j108LA i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz 12 GB ram 1 TB space, GT 755m 4GB. Local price: $1428

I was full on Lenovo Y510p (or any Y series Lenovo really compared to the Vaio I have) Untill I found the HP Envy, and now I've always had problems with HP and every HP owner i've come to know has had problems with their HP laptop or printer or whatever. Which is the frustrating issue; it has more dedicated GB (right?) or is that the SLI? Then again it's an HP is it worth it? Will I have to buy a new laptop here in 2 years?

Primarily i've always wanted to play Watch Dogs and on Game Debate and anywhere else obviously SLI is better for that game but i'm worried that i'll make the right choice. I've looked at many reviews and they don't help so much in my situation. Please help?

TL;DR: Budget of around $1400, Should I buy Gaming(ish) laptop now? Lenovo Y510p vs HP Envy 15-j108LA (or better option?) Good budget gaming laptop to run Watch Dogs?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
Hi,

If you're really set on either the Lenovo or the HP, I'd definitely recommend the Lenovo (Based on reviews from friends on Lenovo and past experience with HP). Also the Envy has a marginally better graphics card, but the the difference is very minimal.

If you'd like to consider a custom solution, I configured an MSI gaming laptop for you (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GE70-Apache-Gaming-Laptop/W/225448) and it contains nearly the same configurations except it contains 16GB of RAM and a 860M GTX 2GB, which performs better than an SLI 755M. - $1,415 and it's free shipping!

This should be sufficient to run Watch Dogs at 60FPS on Medium Settings, which is 30FPS higher than the 750M...

TryHardVermin

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Does it have to be HP or lenovo? With $1400 dollars you can buy a nice Asus or MSI gaming laptop, which are far better than hp or Lenovo. However, if you are stuck between the two of them I would go with Lenovo.

Hi,

If you're really set on either the Lenovo or the HP, I'd definitely recommend the Lenovo (Based on reviews from friends on Lenovo and past experience with HP). Also the Envy has a marginally better graphics card, but the the difference is very minimal.

If you'd like to consider a custom solution, I configured an MSI gaming laptop for you (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GE70-Apache-Gaming-Laptop/W/225448) and it contains nearly the same configurations except it contains 16GB of RAM and a 860M GTX 2GB, which performs better than an SLI 755M. - $1,415 and it's free shipping!

This should be sufficient to run Watch Dogs at 60FPS on Medium Settings, which is 30FPS higher than the 750M. (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Watch-Dogs-Benchmarked.117932.0.html)

You can also customize it any way you want, let me know if you have any questions!

Contact me at jason.maryne@ibuypower.com :)

EDIT - Use this code (NST5) for orders over $1,299 to get 5% off. So, it should come out to $1,344.25 with free shipping.

Solution

TryHardVermin

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

That's actually a good buy!