Budget Laptop for 50 something yo Wife

Solution
That looks like a pretty good value for $400 with the OS included. Touchscreen is probably unnecessary. You may want to add a cheap external keyboard and mouse if she does a lot of typing, and maybe second monitor for a 2-screen setup. Just make sure the monitor has an HDMI port as VGA monitors are not too common these days.

warpedone

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Budget: preferably under $500.
Minimum mobility. Sitting on a desktop most of the time.
I've looked at Chromebooks but don't know what the learning curve with using one is and, as I mentioned, she's in her 50s. People tend to get set in their ways as they get older.

warpedone

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Can someone please pick apart the one linked in the OP?
I do know it has lots of RAM and a big hard drive.
I'm not sure what gen the i5 is.
I know it's a funky resolution (1366 x 768).

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
for your wife i wouldn't buy a chromebook because surely shee needs to do some work and if she doesn't use google and chrome alot, it will not help her

i wouldn't choose a tochscreen for her if the laptop will be on a desk all the time, the feature will not be used at all

the resolution is not funky, that is hd resolution, i can't open the link, sorry

what i would choose is 8 gbs of ram any hard disk at 1 tb or if possible a ssd of 120 or bigger, 14" screen and a i5 5 or 6th gen, it should cover all her needs

there is a couple lenovos doing just that for that price, sorry i can't link them atm

warpedone

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply atljsf.

The linked machine is a Lenovo Ideapad 310 for $400

Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor at 2.5GHz
12GB DDR4 RAM

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10

Drives:
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Graphics & Video:
15.6" Touchscreen HD LED Backlight (1366 x 768) Display
Intel Integrated 620 Graphics

Communications:
Intel® Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth 4.1
100/1000M Gigbit Ethernet (RJ-45 Connector)
Integrated (720p) Webcam

Audio:
2x 1.5W speakers with Dolby® Audio Processing

Ports & Slots:
1x USB 3.0
2x USB 2.0
1x HDMI
1x VGA
1x Media Card Reader
1x Combination Audio Jack

Up to 5-hour Battery

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
That looks like a pretty good value for $400 with the OS included. Touchscreen is probably unnecessary. You may want to add a cheap external keyboard and mouse if she does a lot of typing, and maybe second monitor for a 2-screen setup. Just make sure the monitor has an HDMI port as VGA monitors are not too common these days.

Solution

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
yes, if you see in person that laptop and you like the keyboard, i would buy it

if you on't like the keyboard and your wife will not use a different keyboard and mouse, this is very important