Budget laptop for Visual Studio

DirectK

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
1. What is your budget?

800-900$ in US

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14 to 15 "

3. What screen resolution do you want?

FHD

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?

Around 3 hours of writing code.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I won't play any games on this laptop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mainly programming environments like Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise, Eclipse, Android studio.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I think 256 GB would be ok, but there should be an option to add some storage later.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I hope it will last for 2+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't like Asus and HP. I had an awful experience with these brands, warranty issues and support centre.

I like Lenovo and Dell. In my opinion they are very reliable and strong laptops. Currently my company gave me Lenovo T450s and i just love it. Unfortunately i am not allowed to develop my private projects on this laptop. I had Dell M4600 too - it was awesome. I could buy used w520 or M4600 for 800$, but i'm scared of lack of warranty and potential issues due to heavy use.

13. What country do you live in?

Poland

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Currently i'm working on ASP.NET projects and also plan to write some WP 8 apps. These are my private projects which are not particularly big. I have desktop machine which runs Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise smoothly, but i'd like to write some code when i'm out. I don't expect this laptop to handle extremely heavy duty like compiling 1,5 million code lines solution, but it'd be nice if it could handle VS2015 smoothly for small projects.

Unfortunately my budget is only 800-900$(My recent MBP purchase severely hurt my wallet). Here in Poland electronics are usually around 100$ more expensive than in the US. Here i can spend equivalent of 1000$, but to make it easier for you i'm asking for 800-900$ US price.

I considered Lenovo E450 with i7(5500U), 16 gigs of RAM, 192 SSD(i'd buy more later on), or 8GB option to save up money for larger SSD drive. However i don't know if it will run VS2015 properly. I've been using Visual Studio on pretty high-end machines, so i have no sense of which budget PC can actually run it.

Thanks in advance

Solution
For your budget you can get an in-warranty W model, many W520 systems have a 3 year warranty. If not, you can get a Lenovo T model that would be almost as good.