Build a custom laptop?!?

Solution
I checked into the hardware in that chassis. It is actually an older machine, and honestly not worth the money. You would have to buy more expensive memory, find a used processor from before the i series, and the video card appears to be built in, a Radeon 4430, a DX10 video card.

At best it is time consuming to assemble, at worst you will run into small physical incompatibilities, and when done, you will have $600 laptop that can be outperformed by an off the shelf 400-500 brand new laptop.

There just isn't much to recommend doing it.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Honestly, I've not heard of a barbones laptop before. Sounds more like they took a laptop and stripped out all of its modular components, or got it through other means...It would probably cost you more to track down the appropriate parts then is worth it.

For a cheap build without discrete graphics, just go to a retailer and buy a laptop in the appropriate price range.

For more customization there are boutique laptop builders who will offer a wider range of parts then the larger producers, though places like Dell/Alienware, MSI, ASUS etc offer a laptop with almost anything you would want.

FauxFox

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Well, I HAVE seen people do it (Youtube) but they have kits that cost $700 and up! That's crazy! I've seen some cheap kits, but I was just curious if anyone here has 'ventured into the unknown' and built one.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I checked into the hardware in that chassis. It is actually an older machine, and honestly not worth the money. You would have to buy more expensive memory, find a used processor from before the i series, and the video card appears to be built in, a Radeon 4430, a DX10 video card.

At best it is time consuming to assemble, at worst you will run into small physical incompatibilities, and when done, you will have $600 laptop that can be outperformed by an off the shelf 400-500 brand new laptop.

There just isn't much to recommend doing it.

Solution

FauxFox

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

I was just showing that chassis as an example. There are plenty of others that are MUCH BETTER 'frames'.
But, I do agree with you.

Thanks for the great help!