Bungie Officially Says Goodbye to Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sounds like a lot is still unknown to the general public about Bungie's next franchise, but I would welcome them into the PC world.

Many of the long-time PC franchises have since moved on to consoles, leaving PC players with nothing except bad ports of console games that originally started on PC (Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, etc.) So maybe a console developer coming to the PC world would leave PC players with something amazing. Who knows.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]jsheridan[/nom]Too bad, Halo: Reach was a good game, sad to see the franchise go[/citation]

The franchise will still live on. This was a rare case of Bungie getting bought out by Microsoft and then Bungie getting tired of only working on Halo and being treated rather poorly divorced their parent company Microsoft. However Microsoft kept the rights to Halo as part of that deal.

Of course everyone raised a eyebrow when they then joined up with Activision which is known to also treat employees poorly and waste talent and creative ideas by endlessly milking franchises themselves. Just look at Call of Duty. They have basically switched from bathing in a pit of lava to a pit of acid and you know full well that Activision will not be so generous to make a deal like Microsoft did.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
"Under Microsoft's watchful eye, 343 Industries, Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity are rebuilding the classic shooter from the ground up using an in-house engine while also throwing in support for Kinect."

Kinect? This is the first I've heard about the new Halo Anniversary edition including kinect. I'd like to hear more about that. Will it include the option to switch back and forth between Kinect and regular or will it have specific scenes or sections for Kinect use or what?

What DX tech will it be 11? Isn't it about time for DX 12 to come out? What DX will the new XBox 720 have 11 or 12?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
man they better not "force" kinect on this , as it stand i ahve to repalce my borken 360 already , i barely have money for that replacemnt and wil have to use a trick to use my old hrad drive on the new slim system (old drives to work you just have to pop them out of thier cassing ) . all that said and done i doubt i'l have money for kinect , so there better be an option to play with out kinect on this,

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It wouldn't be too hard for Microsoft to improve the game to XBOX 360 standards since they're playing around with 2005 class hardware anyway. Still I wish Bungie the best maybe they can give some tips to the COD team on how to make a better FPS.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Sounds like a lot is still unknown to the general public about Bungie's next franchise, but I would welcome them into the PC world.[/citation]

Where they should have been in the first place.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
[citation][nom]JoseJones[/nom]Who can answer this question at Wiki's XBox 360 article? What specific DirectX technology came with each XBox console and at what date?Original XboxXbox 360 CoreXbox 360 Pro / Xbox 360 PremiumXbox 360 EliteXbox 360 ArcadeXbox 360 Super Elitehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk: [...] ectX_specs[/citation]

Is this a serious question? The 360 doesn't exactly support DirectX at all. It has its own API with capabilities somewhere between DX9 and DX10. The core/pro/whatever distinctions are only storage related.

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
They were on PC, at one point (Marathon 2: Durandal, the two Myth games they did, Oni).

As for taking on the FPS genre, they did so before Halo. The Marathon trilogy was great, despite being primarily Mac-based, and they did Pathways Into Darkness prior to that.

pythonic13

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
@MooseMuffin hey buddy learn your facts "When Microsoft later set out to develop a gaming console, the X was used as the basis of the name Xbox to indicate that the console was based on DirectX technology." hmmmmmm that sure seems like xbox uses DirectX but prove me wrong.

Also JoseJones if you look up the DirectX wiki page which is where I got that quote you will find that the original xbox used DirectX 8.1 and the 360 uses DirectX 9.0

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks pythonic13, I knew the original XBox was DX 8.1 and I did read that DX Wiki article but it was not very clear on the later ones. I thought the most recent XBoxes were DX 10.

Is it fair to assume that the new XBox 720's will be DX 11 or will DX 12 be out by the time the new XBox 720 rolls out? Isn't time for DX 12 to come out? DX 11 has been out for a couple years now.

pythonic13

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I am not positive on this note but I would assume that all the versions of the 360 use DX9 since all the games created have to support DX and it seems like it would be bad business practice to force game companies to create games with multiple DX versions if it could be avoided.

With regards to the 720, I am betting that it will be DX11 unless DX12 comes out soon and is a much more efficient version.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
So what is going to happen with Halo 4?
I m not happy because they released Halo 1 and 2 for pc, then they released the others for Xbox only.so I'm kinda would like to know how Halo 3 continues from halo 2.
I would definatly get the remastered version if they make it for pc,it sucks.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Seriously, you people are debating the DirectX capabilities of the Xbox past, present and future? Who cares?

This is all you need to know. Whatever the capabilities of the next generation Xbox are, they will be inferior to what a PC is capable of and will continue to hold back the gaming industry from taking advantage of newer and/or better technology.

Back to topic, while it is always sad to see a software company have to part company with a franchise that they created, this is Halo we're talking about. It may have helped put the Xbox on the map but it is inferior to many other FPS out there both past and present. Unless you are a Halo myopian, who really cares?

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
@JoseJones
Microsoft has been tight lipped regarding Windows 8 and a possible next gen Xbox 720. My guess, there will be no DX12 anytime soon. DirectX11 already has lots of tools and resources the next gen console will likely use. (So no DX12 on windows 8 either)

@pythonic13
Yes DirectX was the inspiration for the Consoles name, but it still uses additional custom APIs unique to the console. If it was strictly just DX9 API's, developers would have been able to easily port much more to the PC (or modders would have been able to make ports to the PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.