Buy 13" laptop

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
1. What is your budget?
~ 700. If I get something I can keep for much longer for 750-800 that's fine too.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
~ 13" Not too small (like10"),and not too big (14"+). Mainly around 13". (If there are any ultra-light bigger ones that's fine)
Weight is important. <2kg is preferable.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not my main concern, but if possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. I'll take it to school every day. Weight is a big issue, hence the 13".

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not very important, as long as it's not <4h.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
World of Warcraft, medium graphics, acceptable resolution.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I won't be running any heavy software, but I want it to be real quick in startup and opening programs etc.
I will be working alot in Word, Excel etc, but I want the laptop to hang in there for a few years.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
>300GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Shipping does matter, since I live in Sweden, but it's not a big deal.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-ROM/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Brand doesn't matter as long as performance is good.

13. What country do you live in?
Sweden

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
It's definitely a + if the company I buy from can be found in Sweden(for reparation if needed).

Hello softsolid;

Here is a review of the Asus U35JC-A1 that meets all your requirements except being able to play WoW and the upcoming WoW:Cataclysm on medium graphics. Also not knowing what the prices are in Kroner means it might jump up above your budget as well.

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Alright, thank you for the tip.
I'll definitely have a closer look at that one.

Which would be the closest one with better graphics?

Found a Swedish website that carries the Asus U35JC-RX040V Core i3-370 CPU & Geforce 310 graphics for 6790 kr I'm guessing that tops your budget by quite a bit?

In terms of what you need to get the gaming you want - you're looking at a Core i3-350 or better CPU and a graphics card equal to or better than a AMD/ATI HD 5470 or Nvidia Geforce 320.

It's not easy finding graphics gaming cards in the ultra portable category of laptops. Thin and light usually costs more as well.

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Actually no, I'm looking at something around 7000kr.

Some of those are really nice. Gotta check em all out =).

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Right.
That Vaio is very attractive. I've read up on a few reviews now and as you say, it's practically got it all. The only drawback is it's size.

The Radeon HD 5650 beats GeForce® GT 415M by far, yes?

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
And if I was to only to use the laptop as a work-computer(browsing the web, using word, excel, carrying it around), not too heavy stuff. (suppose I'd use my stationary for gaming)
Which would be a good bet then? I'd still want it to be very quick @ startup and other processes.

By a substantial margain.
The GT 415 is nearly equivalent to the HD 5470 while the GT 425 is the roughly equal to the HD 5650.

RFMc9.jpg

source: Notebookcheck gaming benchmarks

As far as general purpose ultra-portable laptops go the Core i3-380M CPU has a lot going for it.
It doesn't hurt that the GF GT 415 GPU can let you sneak in some light gaming during class breaks. Or power through HD video content.

Only the lack of an independent review of the ASUS U31JG keeps me from suggesting it might best meet your needs. This is mostly due, I think, to it's recent release to the market.
I'm relying on the Asus reputation for putting out superior products at this point.

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Indeed, the ASUS U31JG seems to suit my needs just fine.
As you said, it will run very smoothly on all tasks beside heavy gaming(which it won't be used for anyway).
Excellent GPU-chart, just what I needed!

I see there's a few, but not really that many, candidates. I'll give it some thought, but might very well go with the ASUS U31JG because of all it's advantages. It has a nice CPU, acceptable GPU, good looks, sufficient memory and HDD. But foremost it's lightweight and 13,3" =)

Your support has helped me alot, thank you for your efforts so far.

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I was actually going to order the ASUS U31JG but then I realized I might need a DVD-player/burner.

Do you have any advice?

I've been looking at some Vaio but most of them are too heavy (>2kg) and some are a little too expensive @ 11000kr.
Some of Dell has the optical drive but I dislike their looks and brand.

So now it looks like this;
optical drive (DVD-player/burner) Does not have to be bluray
Not too heavy <2kg
Acceptable overall performance
=)

I'll give it some thought bout if the optical drive is nessecary though.

softsolid

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Another reply, not allowed to edit for some reason.

Fallen for the Thinpad/Ideapads, there are a number of em.
Seem to be real nice.
From what I've heared the quality is everything but bad.
What would be a good bet for something that I would keep for 3 years?