Buy Haswell or wait for Broadwell?

Nadav Erez

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
I am going to buy a laptop for school, and need 6< hours of battery life, and I am also on a budget of 550$ max.Optimal screen size is 14", second choice 13.3" and third choice 15.6". Performance isn't an issue, as I am just going to be writing documents and browsing the web- I will be doing this all day though, hence the high battery life requirement. Should I buy a Haswell laptop now, or wait for Broadwell?

Solution
I honestly can't say, there are not prices listed for notebook cpus that will launch, but they should be about the same. Performance wise, the gain with broadwell will not be worth the wait, but power consumption maybe, if they actually get the 2x less power consumption they boast about. If you can wait, i mean there is no urgent need for the laptop at school, then wait, it's only 4 months until christmas.

gcatalin

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
If you can wait, then wait, broadwell is supposed to use 2x less power than haswell. But they are set to release at the end of 2014, so i guess they will be available in store at the earliest around christmas though most likely early 2015. it's up to you to decide if you can wait that long. If you can't then you can't go wrong with haswell either.

Nadav Erez

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014

Alright, thanks! I have a few questions though:
Will the Broadwell line be cheap enough for me to be able to get a Core i processor and to a Pentium?
Do you personally think it's worth the wait over buying this (i3, Intel HD Graphics)?

gcatalin

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I honestly can't say, there are not prices listed for notebook cpus that will launch, but they should be about the same. Performance wise, the gain with broadwell will not be worth the wait, but power consumption maybe, if they actually get the 2x less power consumption they boast about. If you can wait, i mean there is no urgent need for the laptop at school, then wait, it's only 4 months until christmas.

Solution