Buying a gaming computer for under 600 pounds ($944)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ashim8813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Right so, I am planning to buy a laptop this weekend (I know there isn't much time, so that's why I am hoping i get fast replies :) Sorry on my part though for the short notice)

EDIT: I am not buying it this weekend, so I have plenty of time now :)

I want it primarily for smooth gaming.
I would prefer 8GB of RAM and a good graphic card. It would probably be easier if I explained what games I'd be playing :-

Basically I want to run StarCraft II on ultra, League of Legends on ultra, BF3 on ultra or just below, Skyrim on ultra or just below.... you get the gist.

If this laptop is available in the UK that would be convenient, but, I am ok with shipping.
If the laptop has room for upgrading (as in a change of graphic card, or even the possibility of the mobo) that would be a MASSIVE bonus. And also, keeping the budget range closer to 400 gbp makes my life so much easier. 600 gbp represents the upper bound of my budget.

Thanks in advance! :)

Zeke14

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I did customize it using HPs website. I don't know what options you would have in the UK, i assumed you had the same capabilities to customize the standard models but upon checking the UK version of the site i don't see the exact model number (although there are similarly equipped base units) or the option to customize any model for that matter. Getting it shipped may be the only option (if that's even an option), you will need to check with HP if you end up choosing this model. I only brought it up because the HP model you had in your list had a lower quality CPU, this was just a better HP alternative IMO as it was still within yer budget.

ashim8813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Ok so, quick opinion, would it be better to go for: (1) The Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 w/o FullHD or (2) the HP dv4t-5100 (unupgraded).

And secondly, would it just be better to customise the HP dv4t-5100 rather than buying the Y580? THanks

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

If you are considering the Y580 w/o the 1080p screen then the only real difference between that and the dv4t are size (weight and footprint) and graphics card. The Y580 has the GTX 660m and the dv4t has the GT 650m. Depending on the games you are wanting to play and the settings you want to play them on I really dont see the 650m not being able to deliver, especially at 1366x768.

There is the little piece of price. Depending on how you customize the dv4t you can get a nice, portable, gaming laptop for under $800. (I just ordered one with 3rd gen i5 and the 650m for $754) So it really just depends on if you want a sub 5 pound gaming machine or if you want the little bigger lenovo.