Buying a Gaming Laptop for my budget.

6010fd12

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
1. What is your budget?
$400 max preferred but if its a little over thats ok.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Any size is fine, I win't be traveling with it much.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
If possible 1080p but anything will do.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It will be my desktop replacement laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
It will be charging most the time but the bigger the battery life the better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

This will by an almost purely gaming laptop so newer games on high settings and if high settings aren't possible for my budget then I don't mind turning down the quality for some extra frames.

Ex: GTA 5, Minecraft (I know it's not that gpu demanding), Call of Duty 4 & 5 and MW2, Fortnite, Rainbow 6 Siege

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mostly multitasking with chrome and some other programs like like skype. Nothing TOO demanding but I don't want the cpu to bottleneck me in preformance for games or other tasks.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

If it's possible to find one with 1TB then thats good but if not then 750 or 500 is fine. I can always but a cheap 1TB HDD and install that in later if needed.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Nothing specific.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Probably a good 2 years or so.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None, as long as it has a usb port then I'm good lol.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preferance for any, I just need a laptop that is the best bang for my buck in gaming that is within my budget.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The main purpose of the laptop is for gaming, I just need something that is the best for my budget in terms of gaming but I don't want to get something with a bad cpu that would throttle down my performance.

Any suggestions would be awesome and appreciated.

bradley4jacks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
You will struggle to find a laptop at that price point to play those games, you would be better off getting a desktop and then a cheaper laptop if you really need one, or look for a used one

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Anywhere near $400, you are not getting anything near playing games on high, or even low for that matter. Modern games will not play on a $400 laptop. It is hard to get them to play on a $400 PC... You may be able to make a minecraft machine for $400, but not GTA V and others.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008

I would love to see a desktop for $400, OS, and monitor play the games he requested on high...

bradley4jacks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar TA970 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card ($108.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.73 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $415.64

Will be able to play most games at high, or thereabouts and is miles better than a laptop

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008

Maybe GTA V on low settings.

I agree better than a laptop but you add an OS and monitor for about $150 total, you have to reduce the power of the system even further.

bradley4jacks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

He said desktop replacement so I'm assuming he has some form of desktop already i.e. monitor etc. and that will play gta V at more than low medium at the least

6010fd12

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

You are correct, I have a gaming pc with a 4k monitor that can run GTA 5 perfectly fine, I only made this thread to look for a gaming laptop.

I understand I went a little overboard with $400 for a laptop that can run GTA 5.

If I raise my budget to $600 what would be the best gaming laptop that I could get for my money? (Bang for Buck)

It dosent have to run GTA 5 or anything but something I can use to play mid-teir games and possible try new games as well.