Buying a laptop for the first time: Lenovo G510 or Asus X550LD? Please guide me...

highlander141

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I am buying a laptop for the first time and mostly will use it for my programming tasks, watching youtube videos and lots of browsing. Especially my programming tasks include: Visual Studio, Netbeans, Qt and some other IDE's (Aptana etc). As I get to know from my friends, no one is opting for an HP or DELL. Many of them are preferring an Asus X Series with Core-i7 processor which is the latest one in the current market. Some of them are preferring Lenovo Essential G series, though its an Core-i5 with upto 3.1 GHz, build quality, reliability and especially its keyboard are the best in class when compared to Asus. Kindly help me out on which one I should buy. Here are the URL's for both of them:

Lenovo G510: http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-essentail-g510-59-398474-laptop-4th-gen-ci5-4gb-500gb-win8/p/itmdpwhtnkpdzxzr?pid=COMDPWHBXDURGXP9&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=59-398474&ref=a339086e-b4d1-49ee-b176-ffdedd23f0b2

Asus X550LD: http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x550ld-xx082d-notebook-4th-gen-ci7-8gb-1tb-free-dos/p/itmdvyg4krwqgaes

binayadh

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I think Lenovo Essential G series may be good for you. As you are a programmer, this laptop is enough for you to use all those programming tasks. Dont waste your money on buying that expensive one.

highlander141

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014

Thank you binayadh for your response, so about the reliability and durability, can you please let me know which brand is a better go? Because in about nearly 100$ I will get latest configuration laptop i.e from Asus. As I will be using my laptop for most of the time nearly 6 to 8 hours per day, I will be more leaning towards battery backup, the screen, the keyboard and little more data transfers. I still don't get it either to give preference to specifications or to the brand? Kindly clear my dilemma on the same, thanks again for your valuable suggestions...

Danthebugg

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Reading your thread, I would highly oppose to getting a Acer laptop.
The processors are known to get too hot for their CPU fan to handle and end up overheating overtime, this happened to me and required me to replace the CPU, motherboard and a better cooling fan.

So answering your questiong about reliability I would say get the Lenovo, they have won awards for their reliability and performance xD

highlander141

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
You are mistaken, its not Acer but Asus and its an X-series which I think is a success in the current market. So how good is Lenovo Essential G510 series when compared to well lets say Dell Inspiron 15R and HP Pavilion ...?

Danthebugg

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Just having been awake for a few hours I now can see my mistake sorry lol, it was a bit late for me last night haha.

The Dell Inspiron does not stand out for me, especialy as it has an inferior processor with an i3-3227u and a below par amount of ram required for programming (with the magic number being 8gb) wich does not warrant the asking price for them.

The Lenovo has a brilliant processor (being a 2.5ghz i5 that can be overclocked to 3.1 ghz) which would be what you need for your programming needs, multi-tasking and overall browsing experience. Although it does only have 4gb of ram via the link you gave me would highly recommend getting the G510 upgraded to 8gb RAM which would 'future-proof' your laptop for years to come.

As for the HP Pavilion I choose to compair the HP Pavilion 15-p077TX assuming it is within your budget. Although it boasts a larger HDD of 1TB and the 8GB RAM mentioned before, the processor doesnt hold a candle to the processor of Lenovo, thus it would lack in performance when carrying out your everyday tasks.

I would suggest getting the Lenovo for their reliability and CPU performance and use the money you saved from not getting the HP in upgrade the RAM from 4gb to 8gb xD