Buying a laptop that costs 700$

MrAzzoz

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm planning to buy a laptop that costs 700$..
I'm using it mostly for general things.. Watching movies, doing my university's assignments, and also playing some games.. not that much of a gamer tho..

It'll be good if it's existed in a trusted site newegg and amazon are example..

Solution
Would the Intel® HD Graphics 5500 be good enough to qualify this as a contender?

Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 Laptop with Windows 10 for $649.99

It is only pushing 1366 x 768 native resolution on the laptop

http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-C5274-Laptop-with-Windows-10/product_1674133

According to this review it would not be a good choice:
However, even a low-end dedicated GeForce 820M is about 10 - 30 percent faster than the HD 5500. Games as of 2014/2015 will usually run fluently only at (very) low settings.

It was the right price, but not the right performance, sorry about that.

Chrisg34

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
A processor is like the brain of your computer — it's responsible for the execution of your commands. Good to know: Intel has recently launched the second generation of its mid- to high-end processors. A multicore processor has two or more processors on the same socket, so that you can keep power consumption down without sacrificing performance. If this will be your primary laptop, try to stick with a laptop that has at least two cores for the best performance. (Pretty much all of the laptops that we tested came with at least two cores.)

MrAzzoz

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

Thank you for the information but can you tell me where can I see the laptops u guys tested? or at least suggestions for some computers?

asatapathy2013

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
Better go with Lenovo performance/price at the low end is too good.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-14-inch/ - very decent graphics card but most games are now made for Nvidia
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM150007425/A17602 -A all-rounder (a Nvidia 960m Yuppy)

Other than these two u can't get any major brands with high performance.You can always go for Sager/Clevo if you have that option.

bkoop

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Would the Intel® HD Graphics 5500 be good enough to qualify this as a contender?

Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 Laptop with Windows 10 for $649.99

It is only pushing 1366 x 768 native resolution on the laptop

http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-C5274-Laptop-with-Windows-10/product_1674133

According to this review it would not be a good choice:
However, even a low-end dedicated GeForce 820M is about 10 - 30 percent faster than the HD 5500. Games as of 2014/2015 will usually run fluently only at (very) low settings.

It was the right price, but not the right performance, sorry about that.

Solution

crooked windows

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Lenovo has just been found to be guilty of preloading spyware from hell so steer clear. If you want quality, look at low end PRO series of the top brand names.that match your price. If you want all the bells and whistles, look at high end models of the budget series. I just bought an "End of Line" but top end 15" notebook really cheap. Has a metal chassis and built like a brick, Heavy too but will last. And being top end you know the guts are the best and not budget bits. Save some money and add a SSD ASAP as this makes it near bullet proof if / when dropped . I found it easy to swap out the HDD.
Make a list of what it has to have b4 you buy and discover that special deal doesn't have that 1 thing you needed.
Shops sometimes getting rid of "End of Line Models" to make space for the new models. Tip: Ask the shop manager if they have such models as sometimes they are always on display, (so I found out.)
Unfortunately Compaq is now bottom end since HP bought them out and many cheaper HP's get very HOT due to poor designed cooling fan and layout. Ask a computer repair shop what their biggest brand and models they fix and why. (this is how I found out about HP) May save you money too.
Make your list of what you need it to have , find the brand that has these and the level of quality, google problems with that model (theres always some) just make sure its not hundreds of them or a complete recall and thats why its on super sale. By this stage you should have it down to just a couple.Then its usually down to looks.
Don't get sucked into extended warranties IF your country has consumer protection laws. :)