buying a laptop

myra

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I am going to buy a laptop and I want one that will play my older games and newer games. Examples: Age of empires, Sims, Fallout 3, Solar Empire. From what I've read, I understand that some are 16 bit and are only compatible with 32 bit which is backwards compatible. So I guess i need a laptop which is both 32 and 64 boot-able. I am not able to go into registry and manipulate things nor do I have time for that. I want it to work on all my games right out of the box. I would prefer Win XP because Win 7 is really difficult for me. I have an 8 year old desktop with Win XP and It works fairly well without me having to put a lot of maintenance into it. But If all I can get is Win 7 on a laptop, It has to be a laptop which doesn't have a history for having a lot of issues. Please advise me on various laptops that fit this description. Thank You.

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
You can only have the one. there is no 32-64bit selective booting.

Just go with 64-bit, it works just as well as any 32-bit system on those older games. You won't find any new laptops with XP these days, it's just too old. Windows 7 isn't that bad anyway, I made the jump from XP to 7 and I much prefer 7 now.

I'll be honest, almost any modern laptop will be able to do what you want, however buying a laptop for gaming is usually rather pricey. How much is in your budget?

myra

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

myra

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I'd like to keep it below 600.00 but if I found a laptop that would allow me to play my older games I would be willing to go a bit higher. I bought my son and husband new Dell laptops a year and two years ago. They have Win 7 and good dedicated graphics cards. They are really fussy about playing Fallout 3,Age of Empires and Sims. In fact the only computer that will play The Sims is my daughters old desktop with Vista. I am responsible for fixing the computers and I hate Win 7. A minor fix could take hours.