Buying a Mac for Computer Science major?

crazykidguy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I currently have a Lenovo Y510p but next year, I will be out almost all the time and I would rather not carry such a heavy laptop around with me all the time. Also, the battery life on the Y510p is only about 3 and a half hours at full charge so it's very inconvenient to have to bring my charge just to go to a class.

I wanna ask if buying a MBP or a MBA or even just a MacBook in general is a good idea. I'm a computer science major and I plan to take it on the go with me next year all the time to do work on. If I don't like Mac OS I was planning to just boot Windows on it. But basically I'm thinking about a MacBook because of the build quality, its lighter, the battery life, aesthetics, trackpad, and the keyboard.

If anyone can offer me some insights and opinions on this it'll be great. I'm also open to other suggestions of PC laptops that are just as good as Macs but in the areas I'm considering. Thanks in advance.

The Asus N550JK might be worth a look, though I can't say it will measure up to the MBP or MBA. Installing Windows to a Mac is a little arduous, even if it is doable.

While you shop around, remember that as you go up in graphical capability, you also go up in size and weight, and down in battery life. Some systems manage to retain a slim profile with fairly powerful video chips, but often at the expense of heat and still not great battery life.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Go for the 2014 Razer Blade. In terms of aesthetics, it's literally just a black MBP. its screen is higher-res than that of the 15" rMBP (but only by 120 pixels), and carries more graphics muscle for playing games in your downtime. The only issue is the fact that it's bloody expensive, rivalling the price of a mac machine,

LummusMaximus

Honorable

That's fair enough. The T540p would have longer battery life anyway.

crazykidguy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I was personally leaning towards the i7 version of the Lenovo U410. Even though it's not in production anymore, I was planning to buy on it Amazon or something. That laptop really looks similar to an Apple product and though the Thinkpad is decent, it's just not that appealing to me aesthetically.