Buying freedos laptop, can't find info on the model

ataraxicdave

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hello, first of all. This is a bit confusing. I'm going to get a new laptop, and the only one avaliable closeby that fits my price range/needs runs freedos and is right on budget. I want to buy this laptop. However, i can't find any info online, or reviews, or websites that carry that model. Even Samsungs website has only the drivers and no further info. Is this normal? Should i get it?
Its a Samsung NP300E4X-A05CO, 8 gigs ram, 1Tb HD, Intel 4000 graphics and an i5-3210M processor for my local equivalent of 550 USD.

If it's misslabeled or it's a different model, do tell. This is the one (spanish website with pics)

http://compufax.com.co/samsung-np300e4x-a05co.html

http://compulago.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=356

Keep in mind the closest thing specswise around heres costs me about 100+ USD more, so i really need to be certain this laptop has proper support. Thank in advance!

ataraxicdave

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I will use it mainly for matlab and a little media, so i plan on running either archlinux or ubuntu, anyway. So for now OS is not a big concern, i'm jsut worried since this laptop seems to not exist online

I would go so far as to say that's a steep price point for an i5 system. But in any case, it appears to be a region-specific model, which would explain why you have a hard time finding reviews on it.

The sites I looked at that sell it also state it comes shipped with Linux, but don't specify the distro. Hmm...

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
It's an operating system for IBM PC compatible computers. FreeDOS is made up of many different, separate programs that act as "packages" to the overall FreeDOS Project.[1] As a member of the DOS family, it provides mainly disk access through its kernel, and partial memory management, but no default GUI (although OpenGEM is listed on the official FreeDOS website).

yikes. At least you can put fedora, or ubuntu on it! As it stands, Freedos probably isn't what you think it is. It has no GUI, so it's pretty much all command based. If that's something you are fine with, great. But keep in mind and OS you do load on it will need drivers, and a way to get them on the computer, further more, they will probably not work right away. I have had this issue before, it's a pain.