Buying new headphones, need recommendations

djanthony93

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I want good looking, lightness and powerfull basses. I used Sony MDR-XB500 till now and I liked it. Better Beats Solo 2 or Aiaiai TMA-1?

Solution
It's hard sometimes to get a comparison. I mean most people don't have access to all these headphones at once. If you want a solo2 and momentum comparison then here's a link for that.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Take any opinion with a grain of salt, but Tyll is very honest about what he hears. As for the Aiaiai it's just not that popular I guess. You could also try asking at Head-Fi. Everyone there is a headphone enthusiast and are much more likely to have experience with all the headphones you are looking at.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Why would you recommend those phones?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Besides powerful bass are there any other sound preferences? The XB 500s are known for their overpowered and bloated bass... the beats are likely to have the same although they would be a downgrade. The TMA-1 has bass that is the opposite of the headphones you currently use, clean and natural.

What is your budget/currency?

djanthony93

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

150€
Aren't Aiaiai for DJing only?

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
You guys do know that the beats solo II is nothing like the original solo right? It's actually one of the best in it's class i.e portable on ears. Is it still a bassy headphoneHeck, even Tyll Hertsens put it on his Wall of Fame. If you don't know who he is then google it yourself. All I'll tell you is that his opinion is very respected in the audiophile world.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

Also it doesn't really matter if something is listed as a DJing heaphone. It usually means that the headphone has very good isolation and has punchy bass. Some DJ headphones have a swiveling earcup so they can quickly hear what they are playing sounds like out of the speakers so they can do a proper transition. It's just like studio headphones that are supposedly tuned to a flatter frequency response and reduce distortion. As for consumer use it doesn't really matter either way. Just go with whatever sounds good to you.

Some other info I'd like to have before making some recommendations.

1. Where are you going to primarily use this heapdhone i.e at home, while commuting, at work, etc?
2. Any other sonic preferences besides powerful bass i.e are you sensitive to high frequencies etc?
3. What kind of music do you listen to?

djanthony93

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Everyone who had Solo2 don't recommend it to me... just that.
1) At home, pc, during my work out
2) No
3) EDM music, House, Progressive, Electronic only, Hardstyle and a little bit of Pop.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

To each his own. Some people are still prejudiced against beats for their awful original solo and some still think they don't sound good.

How about the Audio Technica m50x. It has good bass and is light. It's kinda bulky compared to the beats and Aiaiai, so it might not be that great during a work out. However it's still very light and built like a tank. Styling might not be to your liking.

There is also the V Moda XS. Also a headphone with good controlled bass. It is an on ear headphone like the beats. It's built like a tank, looks good IMO, very light, and foldable so it is very portable. It might be a bit outside your budget though. It's MSRP in the us is $212 I think which is like €180-190. On sale it might be $170-180, so I would imagine that someone has it around €160 or so.

As for sennheiser check out the Momentums or urbanite. They should both be around your budget. The original Momentum is actually on clearance everywhere, so you might find a good deal. The other cheaper sennheiser's are good too.

I'd recommend that if you can listen to any of these at a local store to do so. There's no amount of information that anyone could give you that could replace hearing it yourself.

djanthony93

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I can test Solo2 and Momentums, I can got this with the Aiaiai at the same price, but I want really know a comparison between these three, seems like nobody did on the internet

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
It's hard sometimes to get a comparison. I mean most people don't have access to all these headphones at once. If you want a solo2 and momentum comparison then here's a link for that.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent

Take any opinion with a grain of salt, but Tyll is very honest about what he hears. As for the Aiaiai it's just not that popular I guess. You could also try asking at Head-Fi. Everyone there is a headphone enthusiast and are much more likely to have experience with all the headphones you are looking at.

Solution

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I've never heard the TMA-1 so I can't comment on that. Between the solo2 and momentum I liked the momentum more. But that's partially due to the fact that I listen to lots of classical, jazz, and instrumental stuff so good treble is important to me. However I did find the solo2 more enjoyable for pop and trance. Based on the type of music you listen to I would think you would enjoy the solo2 more than the momentum. You've got the chance to demo them before buying either, so might as well see which one sounds better to you.