Buying new laptop for programming/gaming

xTripper

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
1. What is your budget?
Around 1000$. Might be a bit more
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Similar to screen resolution
3. What screen resolution do you want?
15,6 or more
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable better
5. How much battery life do you need?
It's the same. I would usually plug in the battery
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
It would be good to have a laptop for games, but not the best one. Just to spend some free time if there would be any.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I need it for programming.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
The more the better, but not more than 1T
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
For minimum 5 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD of course. Nothing really more
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm not sure. As much as I heard HP aren't really good ones so I don't prefer them. lenovo or something similar to it would be good.
13. What country do you live in?
Poland
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I told everything I had to. I need a laptop for programming, that's for sure. Of course I wouldn't mind to play games from time to time. That's all I need.

nyczwillz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
For $1000 you can really get a decent laptop in terms of specs. I feel like nowadays its more about the durability of the laptop. I paid 1.5K for a XPS 15 from Dell and it is starting to fall apart after 2 years. But still performs well.

I do suggest you get a laptop with a SSD drive and if you need more space, there are laptops with smaller SSDs to boot and regular hard drives for storing.

Here is a site I always recommend for good laptop deals, I'm sure a lot of others use these deal sites: http://dealnews.com/c49/Computers/Laptops/