Buzzing from Onkyo Stereo Receiver

Apr 29, 2018
I have an Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver, with a turntable and CD player plugged into it. It has Wi-Fi capability, which I use to connect wirelessly to Spotify and TuneIn Radio. I have older Cerwin-Vega speakers (I don't know the model). All of the components are plugged into a single power strip, which is then plugged into a single outlet, via an extension cord.

Recently, I noticed a buzzing sound that comes from the receiver itself (not the speakers). The sound seems to only start up once the receiver has been on for some time, and it gets progressively louder the longer the receiver is on.

At first I assumed there was interference from the power cords and speaker wires touching, so I rearranged the wires so they didn't touch. That didn't work.

Next, I disconnected each of the components one-by-one, including the radio wires and the speakers. This didn't work. The receiver buzzes even with nothing plugged in.

After some research online, I thought the problem might be with the ground wire, and I realized that the outlet I was using wasn't grounded (it's an older house). Using an extension cord, I plugged everything into a different outlet. This seemed to work at first, but then the problem reemerged.

My next thought is that perhaps the receiver is picking up interference from Wi-Fi signals somehow - there is both a Wi-Fi modem and an Eero Wi-Fi extender in the room, as well as a smart TV. However, since the unit is made to work with Wi-Fi, this doesn't seem entirely likely.

I have read a number of articles, but none seem to address the specific problem I am having. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

- Jake

Solution
If the buzzing were electrical or RF in nature you would hear it from the speakers not the receiver.
I think that as the receiver warms up there is a mechanical buzz generated inside. If the receiver is under warranty then it should go to service. If it's out of warranty you could remove the cover and carefully determine where the noise is coming from. I will guess that the power transformer or power supply will be the source. Not a DIY repair in general.
If the buzzing were electrical or RF in nature you would hear it from the speakers not the receiver.
I think that as the receiver warms up there is a mechanical buzz generated inside. If the receiver is under warranty then it should go to service. If it's out of warranty you could remove the cover and carefully determine where the noise is coming from. I will guess that the power transformer or power supply will be the source. Not a DIY repair in general.

Solution
Apr 29, 2018
Thank you for the feedback - what you're saying seems to fit with the evidence, especially since the buzzing gets louder as the unit stays on and warms up. I'm going to contact Onkyo right away. I bought this unit in January, so it should still be under warranty.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2018
You were spot-on about it being the power transformer. The repair shop replaced the power transformer and the problem went away.

Feb 13, 2019
I got a new Onkyo and it hums when it's ON... no speakers or sources connected, just plugged to the wall... sound coming from the amp itself... it kind of hears from the left part of the unit where a huge transformer is...

Should I send it back?? I don't know if it's normal, wouldn't want to get another one and have the same issue...