Buzzing noise from speakers only when playing games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xELITEx

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I've been having this problem ever since I put in my new graphics card, before it didn't make this noise.

Everytime I open a game it gets to the main menu then makes this buzzing noise, It doesn't make the noise on anything besides games, the pitch seems to change with the thing I open up in a game, for instance, I open up TF2 then click browse servers and it makes a higher pitch then when browse servers wasn't open.

I've updated my sound card so I have no idea what it could be, also for some reason it takes so long for my sound options to pop up(about 2-3 mins, which also interfers with changing from speakers to a headset).

Thanks in advance!

Benjamin_43

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Hi, thanks for response. My speakers are fine, it's just when I have my headphones on, and gaming. I've tried different headphones. I changed my tower's power source from a pwr stripe to a direct wall socket, which cut the noise in half, but it's still pretty bad. I appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers mate!

Padhead

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Since I bought new speakers for my computer I have a better sound but I noticed random popping sounds when I play music or in game. I live near the subway and these little noises were very noticeable each time it passed.

I won't explain all the things I tried. I just unplugged the HD audio cord which allows to use the case front panel.
Indeed, the motherboard socket (Asus Z97 deluxe) and the cord were too close the PSU (Corsair RM750) what it caused interferences.

Mrcacaface

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Just had the same issue and tried all the things mentioned here. I upgraded my PSU and graphics card. When I gave the first game a test run I noticed the annoying sound. I have a pair of Yamaha powered studio monitors connected through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The right speaker was making the weird noises when I would hop into a game and scroll with the mouse browsing. It was driving me nuts. I trouble shooted the crap out of it and found that when I would jiggle the USB slot the Scarlett was connected to on the computer, the speaker would make a ton of noise. I switched the cable to the other speaker and it didn't make a sound. So I isolated the problem to only the right speaker. I took advice from someone on another thread. (Can't seem to find it now to tell him thanks :() I pulled out the ground pin in the 3 prong power cable for the speaker and bam. Problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.