Buzzing sound from speakers, when my laptop is plugged in

fchung0712

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I have had a set of Creative speakers for quite a while now. They work perfectly on all my other computers (iMac, and a couple of HP desktops). I just received a new computer (Lenovo Y40), but when I plugged the speakers in, I heard a buzzing sound. My speakers and laptop were plugged into the same outlet, so I tried switching the outlet for the speakers. the buzzing was still there. What I discovered was that the buzzing would only occur while my laptop was plugged in. No matter where it is plugged in, the buzzing will only appear if I have my laptop plugged in, along with my speakers.

Solution
Never mind, I figured out what was wrong. It turns out, the side of my laptop popped out a little, and the plug didn't go all the way in. I don't know why it only buzzed when the laptop was plugged in, but at least it is fixed now.

fchung0712

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Never mind, I figured out what was wrong. It turns out, the side of my laptop popped out a little, and the plug didn't go all the way in. I don't know why it only buzzed when the laptop was plugged in, but at least it is fixed now.

Solution

theacison

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014

Hey there fchung, I have creative speakers and the Y40 as well and I am getting the buzzing sound. Is it okay if you explain into further detail how to fix it?

Thanks

fchung0712

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Is your audio plug plugged in fully?
Mine was only partially plugged due to the protruding piece under the audio plug. Not having it plugged in fully can result in the buzzing, or sound from only one speaker. Basically, the cause of this buzzing is most likely the plug not being plugged in fully.
I have no idea about plugging in the laptop, but some say that if you plug the laptop into the same outlet as the speakers there may be problems, but I have never had this problem before.