Cable Box to Projector

kunklet

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this...apparently I'm not as smart as I thought I was:

I have a comcast cable box and I want to connect it to my projector. I know there has to be a tuner in between the two, so I got an old VCR and hooked the coaxial from the cable box to that, then component out of the VCR to my projector. Problem is, I don't get any kind of signal. Should this setup work? I'm not sure if it's an issue where either the VCR/projector isn't set up correctly, or if it's an issue that I can't 'tune' my projector to channel 3 like you would a TV. Can anyone help me please!?

Solution
Component video would work find if you have it on the projector and the cable box output works. You would need three video cables with RCA connectors on both ends. Two more would be for audio and might go to your audio system instead of the projector.
The VCR serves no purpose and would doesn't have component video outputs.
What inputs does your projector have? The projector wouldn't have an RF input, as you say, but it could have composite video (1 RCA jack), component video (3 RCA jacks), SVHS, DVI, HDMI, RGB, or VGA.
The Comcast box is your tuner so depending on the outputs it has has you might need to convert one to be compatible with the inputs on the projector and the available wiring from the cable box to the projector.
If...

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Um, you are not using your cable box in the circuit as described above. Now day's comcast's cable box is the tuner. Simply plug the cable box into the coax, and plug the cable box directly into the projector.

kunklet

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015

OK, but... 1) my projector doesn't have a coax input. That's why I have the VCR--to convert coax to component. and 2) That wouldn't work as you described it with a TV unless the TV was tuned to channel 3. And I can't very well tune my projector to channel 3, as it doesn't have channels.

The cable box DOES have a component out, but comcast support (in all their wisdom) simply said that it 'is not compatible with a projector' and it would be impossible to set such a situation up...

Component video would work find if you have it on the projector and the cable box output works. You would need three video cables with RCA connectors on both ends. Two more would be for audio and might go to your audio system instead of the projector.
The VCR serves no purpose and would doesn't have component video outputs.
What inputs does your projector have? The projector wouldn't have an RF input, as you say, but it could have composite video (1 RCA jack), component video (3 RCA jacks), SVHS, DVI, HDMI, RGB, or VGA.
The Comcast box is your tuner so depending on the outputs it has has you might need to convert one to be compatible with the inputs on the projector and the available wiring from the cable box to the projector.
If you only have a single video cable going to the projector and the cable box doesn't have composite video output I would suggest you get one from Comcast that does.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS