blaineclrk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I'm looking for resolution filters to reduce and control high resolution cable and video player input to TVs. A friend has glaucoma and has trouble with high resolution displays. He needs the control to see clearer and to keep HD from tiring his eyes. I know most everyone is looking for better HD, but for some folks with vision problems, lowering the resolution is preferred.

There is no such thing as a "resolution filter". You can change the resolution of your sources by not connecting them with HDMI or component video. Use the composite video output of the cable box and dvd player which is limited to 480 lines. You can also turn the sharpness down in the video menu of the TV (it is usually set too high anyway). The other video menu controls for contrast and brightness might prove helpful as well.

blaineclrk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I checked back with my friend and to clarify a bit; he's re-set contrast and brightness without much success, but hasn't tried other hookups. He does best watching the old untouched shows and movies from 'yester-year' that had what we would call terrible quality. He has had some hardware that he could set down to around 250/280 and that's his best range, but he's having trouble with new equipment that's aimed for HD and doesn't have any way to lower the resolution below 480. 480 is just over the top for him for extended watching. It's OK for maybe half an hour, then he has to call it quits. That's why I was hoping there was some way to run input through a filter to break it down.
Thanks.