Cable Giants Already Fear Apple's Rumored Set-top Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
These cable companies need to quit worrying about what channels people want to watch and start worrying more about getting customers more bandwidth, so we can watch, listen, read, play whatever we want.

superman21

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I don't see anything in that article which indicates any cable company/provider "fears" this potential new device. In fact, I don't see any mention at all of any cable providers, other than the 1 company which is supposedly going to be providing content. Enough with the sensationalist headlines; I'd rather get an actual sense of what I'm going to be reading about instead of wondering if I missed something along the way. 21st-century "journalism" at its finest...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Why would a cable company fear an iTV? Its not like they are going to be connected through Apples Internet service. More than likely it will be connected to cable internet, and not be appealing to buy all your shows for $1 each.

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
So Comcast is whining about competition and cites it as a reason to widen their near monopoly to provide television content. Like other industries, they should buckle down and get competitive on price and service. I have TWC, and while they are bad enough, I fear this merger. It seems to me that their big fear is to lose the income from subscription TV because people are cutting the cable and keeping internet. Hence their bandwidth tier pricing. If the merger goes through, I expect to be paying much more for both TV and internet. I think their strategy is to choke out their "competitors" like Roku, Apple, etc. by the cost of bandwidth. Look at Netflix, who now pays them a ransom fee so their bandwidth won't be strangled.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Why would a cable company fear an iTV? Its not like they are going to be connected through Apples Internet service. More than likely it will be connected to cable internet, and not be appealing to buy all your shows for $1 each.

I'd buy all my shows at $1 each. I sat down and looked at what my wife and I watch and added up all the shows and found that at $1 each I'll pay less per month to pay for each show than I do right now for my "bundled" channel package.

Now if someone was a couch potato who did nothing but watch TV all day then I could see how they would hate paying for each show.

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I think its a bit silly for Apple to make a set top box. "In competition with FireTV, Roku, and Chromecast". Wait, isn't the <b>current</b> Apple TV in competition with those devices already? To me, the best option is to upgrade the current Apple TV. After upgrading the new Apple TV to be more of a set top box instead of a whole different device, make the price a bit higher to make up for the extra stuff. Around $149.99 would be great in my opinion.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
These cable companys have been strangling humanity with over prices, low quality content for decades...it's only a matter of time before demand actually catches up and kicks them out of the market. If TV over internet wants to succeed, it will and it will take Cable companies with it. Better use that copper for the smart sell...internet service. OH and COMCAST and TWC customer services is barn none(minus direct tv) the worst

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I do the same, but did you buy an iTV to do it for you or just use your computer?

I'd buy all my shows at $1 each. I sat down and looked at what my wife and I watch and added up all the shows and found that at $1 each I'll pay less per month to pay for each show than I do right now for my "bundled" channel package.

Now if someone was a couch potato who did nothing but watch TV all day then I could see how they would hate paying for each show.

Status
Not open for further replies.