Calif. City Wants to Put DUI Photos on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvc21

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I'm all for it; as a victim of a lost friend from a repeating DUI driver, whatever it takes to get a message across should prevent people from taken more innocent lives.

Perhaps after a certain time their photos can be taken down after a period of due diligence.

G

It is a sad indictment AGAINST America's approach to alcohol and alcohol crimes, where we do NOT hold the drunk DIRECTLY accountable for his/her drunkenness.

The small island nation of Bermuda has the right idea .. they post a picture of the person who is arrested for ANY crime where alcohol is involved, on the front page of the major newspaper on the island. Whether it is a case of public drunkenness or an accident where alcohol is suspected of contributing to the accident ... THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. To show you just how serious they are, the editor of the newspaper where the photos are posted, was arrested for public drunkenness and had HIS picture posted.

When you consider the fact that Bermudian approach to alcohol is European in nature, where children might very well have a glass of wine with a family meal .. and .. the incidence of alcohol related arrests are at a very low-level (per 1000 citizens) ... then I would suggest that the councilman in Huntington Beach has a very good suggestion as to how to deal with their "drunken", drinking citizens. Post the drunk's pictures on page one and allow their fellow neighbor's derision to shame them into doing something to deal with their drinking. Arrest them today, release them tomorrow, and have to arrest them for the very same thing the next day ... our present approach is NOT working..

America has to come up with a better way of handling those who drink too much and then become public nuisances. The price has hit near epidemic levels .. we can't continue NOT coming up with a reasonable approach to the problem..

WRB / CPO (SW), USN(RET) - Midland, MI

Well that won't work here in Western Australia - over 10,000 people were busted last year drinking and driving alone ... there are just less than 2 million people in the state and only 1 daily newspaper (The West Austalian).

The front page would need to accomodate a lot of pictures on it on any given day.

Public floggings / 30 second taserings on full bladders in the City Mall however ... now that would draw the crowds.

/checks prices on hot dog stands in anticipation.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Through all I'm concerned, you're 1100% responsible for your actions while under the influence. It was your choice to get drunk in the first place.
A town not too far away form me puts the pictures of men caught with a prostitute in the newspaper to shame them. While I'm against it for that matter, I'd be all for it for repeat DUI offenders.

Then again, I just don't understand drinking in the first place. Hate the taste of alcohol and hate what it does to me. So what if it's a little liquid courage? It's just not me.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Consumption of alcohol isn't illegal.....and if you read the laws closely, in most states it's a violation of one's right to privacy. Privacy advocates will have a field day fighting this. Quite frankly, if my picture were to be posted by any media source, I'd be immediately filing charges against said media source for violation of privacy and defamation of character... and in the case of underage drinking, most laws forbid posting of pictures and charges of those under age 18.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Consumption of alcohol isn't illegal.....and if you read the laws closely, in most states it's a violation of one's right to privacy. Privacy advocates will have a field day fighting this. Quite frankly, if my picture were to be posted by any media source, I'd be immediately filing charges against said media source for violation of privacy and defamation of character... and in the case of underage drinking, most laws forbid posting of pictures and charges of those under age 18.[/citation]

sykozis i think you misread the article. They're posting pictures of people who have been charged with a DUI. Not underage drinking, or drinking in general. This is about drinking and driving, which if you didn't realize it yet, is extremely bad.

Buuuttt, I think this could be a little harsh in some cases. I think some people can learn from their mistakes the first time and don't deserve to be humiliated in such a way. Other people I could understand posting pictures. This could really go either way with me. I think that doing this could in some cases cause more harm than good. Extreme humiliation in society can truly make things worse.. Because in the minds of some humans, humiliation is translated to bullying (not to say it is, but thats just how some people register it).

goonigoogoo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I'm all for it. To me drunk drivers are the lowest of the low on the totem pole, second only to child molesters and animal abusers. If you want to drink and render yourself a total idiot in your home and die of alcohol poisoning - hey i'm all for that, good riddens to you, but when you take to the public streets and endanger MY family ... that's where i draw the line.

DUI offenders get off waaaaaay too easy in North America.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
on one hand....doesn't this go against "cruel and unusual punishment"?

but other hand....maybe a public shaming could straighten out these idiots from driving after drinking....

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Having pictures published of repeat offenders of DUI, while sounds good, I don't know if this is really going to do anything to be honest. I mean a person you screws up once be it a DUI or something else and learns their lesson is one thing. Of course no need for picture posts. However a repeat offender is a repeat offender and a picture of them posted I don't think is going to drive the lesson home, because apparently going to jail numerous times, license suspended numerous times and not to mention the community service and all the fines and court costs did not do it. I hardly think having their picture posted is really going to do anything.

These people have a serious problem and unfortunatly I think has others have said that the European approach, in regards to the punishment of DUI's might fair better. From what I understand most of the European counties there punishment for a first time offender is the equivalent of a second time offender, at least in my State. Besides for picture posts I think of much better ones, like sex offenders, murders, gang members, drug dealers. I mean what would you rather see and read about in this situation? A repeat DUI offender or those guys.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Quite frankly, if my picture were to be posted by any media source, I'd be immediately filing charges against said media source for violation of privacy and defamation of characte[/citation]
You can't defame somebody with facts, so you have fun with that lawsuit.

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Ive always held to the theory that those that are intent on breaking the law from dui's all the way up to violent crimes should be incarcerated AND publicly humiliated. Common criminals see going to jail as a badge of honor, and keep their pride intact. Pride and Respect (through fear) would no longer be present when their neighbors can tune into channel X and watch their local criminal get embarrassed on live television.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
everyone here is thinking of the stumbeling drunk who cant drive straight.

before i go further, i want to say that i do not drink (beer tastes horrific to me), never did drugs, and basiclly never had any runins with law.

who drinks 2 beers and can no longer function?
dui laws are based on the the lightest of weight drinkers, i have an uncle who can function at .15 very well, hell i would say good enough to drive almost. i believe that you should have to take a driving test drunk, and however high you can go in alcohol content is how much you can drink and not get arrested for dui.

im not saying you should drink and drive, but alcohol is the ONLY thing that law prohibits you to do in america till you are 21 (i know there are others, but this is the last vice law that comes off) either let us drink, or ban it, i mean you already cant drink outside without police giving you a ticket. you an get arrested just for being drunk, not even unruly, just drunk. is there even a point to drink, if being drunk is illegal?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
not only that, but if you get your picture posted for a dui, you life is ruined.
remember, this isnt only for people who hurt someone, even a victomless dui YOU WILL BE SCREWED.

imagin this, your dad had 2 beers with coworkers before coming home. he makes 30-40$ an hour, he gets pulled over, blows a .08, and now because his picture was posted, he loses his job, his home, cant get a new job for anything good and is forced to work minimum wage to support a wife and 2 kids.

he hurt NO ONE, but because of the chance he might have, his whole life is ruined, allong with his wife and kids lives too.

fathermk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
you have been convicted of having a DUI, the state could simply deny you the right to purchase alcohol in that state. Yes, there would be ways around it still (have someone else purchase the alcohol for you), but you could not purchase the alcohol yourself at the bar / restaurant / sports game, etc... The biggest blocker that I can honestly see to that would not be individuals themselves, but businesses in general (drunks purchase far more alochol than the responsible individual by sheer weight of the alcohol itself) and lobbying (or paying off the politicans) is where the game itself is at.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
"If it takes shaming people to save lives, I am willing to do it," he told the AP. "I'm hoping it prevents others from getting behind the wheel and getting inebriated."

Also suggested: handing out large, red, football-team-style Letter As with the free condoms at the courthouses and health centers. Recepients of said free contraceptives are required to display related bumper-sticker, lawn sign, Hester Prinne Fan Club facebook group.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
If you're arrested, your mug shots become public record (hence why newspapers/news always use them).
This policy is merely a method to make something that is public record more accessible to the public. So for you idiots out there, not it's not something you can sue the city for doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.