Call of Duty to Carry on With New Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Well if Treyarch is helping to develop the next CoD we all know it is going to suck. I mean they are the ones who worked on World at War, which imo is worse than CoD3 and I think CoD3 was bad. I dont know what they do different from infinity ward but it is something not good for the CoD franchise.

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Misleading article title, isn't the idea that Treyarch and Infinity Ward are swapping titles ( World at War was released by Treyarch and CODMW2 was released by IW).

Its not carrying on with a new dev. its the planned development path + a different new game within a different genre...

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
[citation][nom]roguekitsune[/nom]Well if Treyarch is helping to develop the next CoD we all know it is going to suck. I mean they are the ones who worked on World at War, which imo is worse than CoD3 and I think CoD3 was bad. I dont know what they do different from infinity ward but it is something not good for the CoD franchise.[/citation]

Little know fact about Treyarch's CoD games -- with the exception of World at War, the developer had LESS THAN 12 MONTHS to finish those games, including CoD3. With World at War (which is a good game, IMO), they had a little more than a year. So to answer your question about what IW did differently....they took their time and had a reasonable development cycle, whereas Treyarch did not. Activision wanted to put the CoD series on a Guitar Hero-like schedule of releases with at least one title a year (gee, over-saturate much?) and since IW didn't want to play that game, Activision passed interval CoD titles over to Treyarch, which caused some serious bad blood between IW and Activision, as well as IW and Treyarch (as I wrote in a previous post in an earlier Activision-IW article, IW loathes Treyarch and mocks them openly for taking IW's baby).

There's speculation that the reason West and Zampella were dismissed was because they did not want Modern Warfare to be rushed into development for 2011 and then they and the rest of the IW team objected to Activision handing MW3 over to Activision's new studio Sledgehammer. And although Actvision doesn't clearly state that Sledgehammer's new CoD title for 2011 will be Modern Warfare 3...I'm sure we can all read between the lines. MW2 could be the last CoD title IW ever puts out, sadly.

RIP, Infinity Ward, 2002-2010

G

They probably played one round of Bad Company 2 and realized their game was garbage in comparison. :)

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
If MW2 is the last game IW puts out, then the world is going to be a better place.

Thank you Activision!

Let's hope they pull their heads out and get the COD franchise back on track and leave this wussy console crap for the kiddies.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I feel MW2 suffered in the PC department because of Activision trying to milk the console market, and Infinity Ward wanted to maintain their COD4 tradition, but had to compromise. Looks like that bad blood is catching up and this is the outcome. I feel Infinity Ward is a great company, and I hold Activision responsible for the PC atrocity they released. Let Infinity Ward team up with the guys from Bad Company...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm not one of those people that thinks the COD franchise should just end, but I AM one of those people that thinks there should not be a new COD every year. I realize that COD is a cash cow right now, but I just get tired of hearing of a brand new COD game EVERY YEAR. This really makes me just not want to buy it.

Now BFBC2 on the other hand...
This is the game that is convincing me that I really should build a pc this summer. It's either that, or buy the game for my 360, and I would rather experience the game in higher resolutions, DX11, etc.

So with that said, MORE BFBC2 ARTICLES PLEASE!!!

arwilson

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I am quite excited for Treyarch's new CoD title... Call of Duty set in 'Nam? will be interesting as that is not a timeline that has been pushed nearly as much as WW2 and present day. I was much more impressed with WaW than I was with MW2. MW2 appeared premature and underdeveloped to me (come on, no dedicated servers? also using steam/VAC was a terrible idea). Hopefully sledgehammer can rescue the MW series from its downward spiral, but who knows, if it is based on blizzard's business model.. could also be worse too lol

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I would like to also add that I really like the COD franchise. I also really like the Guitar Hero franchise. But I stopped buying the games when there was a new one out every 8 months. This is where I am at with COD right now.

Franchises like GOW and Halo do a better job of spreading out their finished products, and I am therefore more excited to buy those products. Longer anticipation periods can equate to wanting a game more, at least that's how it is for me.

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Traditionally, I've only liked the IW created COD content. They had my purchase until the IWNET and no modding community. I guess that goes along with the studio heads' desire to create "high margin" content internally and sell it to me. I never buy DLC. I guess I finally have to learn Hammer World Editor and model my neighborhood for L4D2?

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
COD MMO? I thought MW2 will do that, but it seems they failed or Activision had plans for MMO so they didnt let that.

Status
Not open for further replies.