Cambridge audio 651a amp - which speakers?

hannahbeth

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,

I've bought a Cambridge Audio 651a amp (75w RMS into 8 ohms). Trying to understand how to match speakers but really struggling! (Cr@p at physics)

Can someone tell me what to look for in terms of tech specs and brands?

My budget is around 250 euro so am looking second hand as well as new.

Thanks a million in advance

Solution
You don't really need to worry that much about specs for speakers. A couple of guidelines would be;

Though CA makes solid amps stay away from speakers where the nominal impedance is below 4ohms, 4-16 should be fine. Mostly you'll find them in the 6-8 range.

Next would be to look at the sensitivity. If you want to play them really really loud, you'll want to go with a higher sensitivity. What it is, is how loud it plays with a given input, it can be listed as say 89dB, 89dB/w, or 89dB/2.38v for example. What it means is that if you play at one watt, the speaker will be 89dB at one meter from the speaker. Well roughly anyways, it depends on what's being played, but it gives you a good idea.

So, if you are looking for something...

ien2222

Distinguished
You don't really need to worry that much about specs for speakers. A couple of guidelines would be;

Though CA makes solid amps stay away from speakers where the nominal impedance is below 4ohms, 4-16 should be fine. Mostly you'll find them in the 6-8 range.

Next would be to look at the sensitivity. If you want to play them really really loud, you'll want to go with a higher sensitivity. What it is, is how loud it plays with a given input, it can be listed as say 89dB, 89dB/w, or 89dB/2.38v for example. What it means is that if you play at one watt, the speaker will be 89dB at one meter from the speaker. Well roughly anyways, it depends on what's being played, but it gives you a good idea.

So, if you are looking for something to play at house parties where they need to be very loud, consider speakers with ratings above 93dB. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Since you're across the pond, I'm not quite sure what's available to you, though (in no particular order) Monitor Audio, Focal, Dynaudio, Wharfedale's that aren't their newest series (look for 9.x's or 10.x's), SVS, Paradigm, PSB, B&W, Infinity, and others to be sure. Best advice I can give is to listen to them and see if you like them.

Solution

hannahbeth

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi ien222,

Thanks for the clear and helpful advice!! Much appreciated :)

ien2222

Distinguished
Your welcome,

Since you are just running stereo (without a sub), look for speakers that reach lower in frequency, I'd say down to at least 60Hz though lower would be better (ideal would be down into the 30's). At your budget, you'll be a bit limited with new kit, used just depends on what's out there.

Best thing to do is to listen to speakers and determine what you like. Make sure you listen to speakers that go low, even if they are out of your budget, it'll help determine what you want your speaker to do. Maybe 60's is good enough, maybe you need to find something that plays lower.