Camcorder vs DSLR

Lord Acton

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I am currently looking for a versatile video camera in the range of $1,000-$1,500 USD. A flip-screen is a must (so that I can see myself while recording). The ability to wield the camera in one hand and record while walking is a plus.

The Sony CX900 camcorder has been on my mind for a while, and I am able to pick one up at a very good price. However, I am wondering whether it would be better to go for a DSLR or a professional video camera. The CX900 has a number of features associated with SLRs, such as a large (1") sensor, Depth of Field, a rotating focus/zoom ring around the lens, etc, while also offering the form factor and convenience of a camcorder.

My main use for the camera is vlog production for YouTube, with occasional filming of scenery and events. I am looking for high-quality, crisp images. Would you recommend going for a DSLR, or is the simpler (and less expensive) camcorder a more sensible option?

Solution
Holding an SLR for an extended period of time in one hand could prove tiresome on your fingers, as the depth of the grip can vary significantly. I can't speak for Australia, but SLR video recording is limited to 30 minutes in the EU, so you may fall at the first hurdle.

In my opinion, a dedicated device is always the best way to go and the CX900 looks really good.

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Holding an SLR for an extended period of time in one hand could prove tiresome on your fingers, as the depth of the grip can vary significantly. I can't speak for Australia, but SLR video recording is limited to 30 minutes in the EU, so you may fall at the first hurdle.

In my opinion, a dedicated device is always the best way to go and the CX900 looks really good.

Solution