Solved! Can a laptop fill my gaming needs?

Lomion

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hello,
I had planned to buy and assemble my first PC this February 2011, spending between $1000 to $2000. I have put my plans on hold since the sandy bridge MB recall, but I would like to not have to wait if I can get what i need in a laptop. I will post the specs i was looking for in a desktop, and my question is "Is there a laptop available that will give me the performance of my desktop build, and that i can easily attach to my monitor and keyboard/mouse to use at my home computer desk?"
follows is the desktop specs I've been planning to buy
i7 2600
asus sabertooth MB
128gb SSD
8 gig ram
PSU and case to match
560ti graphics card ( gv-n560SO)
I will be mainly playing online games with this computer,any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I would have to say that there's not a laptop out there that would match those desktop specs, at least not without spending a small fortune. With that said I've seen gaming laptops from Asus and others that could certainly handle those games, albeit with reduced settings.

It's your choice, either go with a gaming laptop now, or wait a month or two and go ahead and get the desktop. I personally would advise waiting for the issues with the chipset to be worked out and build the desktop because with a desktop you'll get alot more bang for your buck and it'll last you longer before becoming outdated.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I can't think of any laptops that would give you the same type of GPU performance as that card would give you but not cost over 2-3 grand.

What games were you wanting to play and at what resolution?

Lomion

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Games i'm lookin to play are Rift Planes of telara, SW TOR, mainly mmorpgs as well as whatever war/strategy games hit my fancy, like total war types. My monitor is a Samsung syncmaster 226bw and i normally play at 1600x1024

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I would have to say that there's not a laptop out there that would match those desktop specs, at least not without spending a small fortune. With that said I've seen gaming laptops from Asus and others that could certainly handle those games, albeit with reduced settings.

It's your choice, either go with a gaming laptop now, or wait a month or two and go ahead and get the desktop. I personally would advise waiting for the issues with the chipset to be worked out and build the desktop because with a desktop you'll get alot more bang for your buck and it'll last you longer before becoming outdated.

Solution

Lomion

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Thanks for the response JPrahman. I found a link to xoticpc.com on these boards, and they have quite a selection of laptops under the gaming section, I suppose one of those is what you are talkin about when you say I could find somethin to handle those games at reduced settings. If anyone has a specific recommendation as towards which would be best for me I'd be grateful, I still have not decided whether or not to wait and build a desktop in April, the advantages of having a mobile pc are intrigueing, and now that I've been lookin into it I think some performance compromises in order to carry it with me may be worth it.