Can a new phone not yet activated receive a restricted call?

Lely

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
I had Verizon phone that regularly received Restricted calls that never showed up in call log. I recently purchased a new, basic, flip phone and before it was activated, I received a Restricted call on it that didn't show up in the call log! The font for "Restricted" is also different than any font on my phone. Any ideas? Thanks

Solution
Likely the number was just re-used for your account from another owner when you got the service. It happens at times, but then anyone that had the number for the old owner that is trying to find them will be calling you.

It's bad when you get credit collectors calling and you have no idea who they are looking because it's no longer their number.
Contact Verizon and check with them. If the phone is not activated I don't see how it could get calls.

You can make emergency calls even on a deactivated phone (that way you don't sue the phone company because you did not pay your bill but could not call 911 when your car fell in a river or something), so whoever is calling may be using the same method to reach you.

Lely

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014

Thank you hang-the-9 for your answer. I have tried to reach customer service but was put off by their incompetent reps. I will be going in a Verizon store ASAP. I started receiving these calls shortly after I bought the first phone. It was annoying and gave me the creeps but I dealt with it. Well, when that phone broke, I bought this new one. I kept my account and number the same. When that RESTRICTED call came thru on the new phone that was not yet activated, I was shocked!

Likely the number was just re-used for your account from another owner when you got the service. It happens at times, but then anyone that had the number for the old owner that is trying to find them will be calling you.

It's bad when you get credit collectors calling and you have no idea who they are looking because it's no longer their number.

Solution