Can a TV cable port on the wall break after not being in a while?

Jun 2, 2018
So after 13 years of not having a TV in my (now out of college) kid's bedroom, we've decided to install a TV in his room so he can watch his channels when he's home on holidays. But I was wondering, since that cable port on the wall hasn't been used in so long...is there a chance the port or the wires underneath the port/plug be broken? I know that for some items, if you don't use it for a while, it'll break or not function. I'm not sure if that'll the same for a cable port.

Just don't want to buy a new TV and then find out he can't watch channels with it. We don't have any spare TVs or cables to test it out right now.

Solution
The connector might be corroded or eaten by rats... it's very unlikely that termites or ants or any other insects have done any damage to a cable ;)
You can check the continuity with a multimeter or similar tester.
Anyway, if that cable was installed in a wall many years ago, it might be outdated and no usable with modern TV sets... use it to pull a brand new HDMI cable, that should do it.
Good luck

armirol

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The connector might be corroded or eaten by rats... it's very unlikely that termites or ants or any other insects have done any damage to a cable ;)
You can check the continuity with a multimeter or similar tester.
Anyway, if that cable was installed in a wall many years ago, it might be outdated and no usable with modern TV sets... use it to pull a brand new HDMI cable, that should do it.
Good luck

Solution

TRENDING THREADS