Can a virus emulate a wireless connection?

sgrrsh26

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Something was sapping my networks bandwith all of the sudden recently. Seemed to have happened after a bit of torrenting but not sure. Noticed an unknown device on my router "localhost" running a 5g connection. Now I'm in an urban neighborhood and I really don't think my neighbors would, or even could hack my router password, hell I can't even pick up any of their routers from my house, maybe mine is strong enough for them but idrk. After running a bunch of tests I decided to change the wifi password. Localhost is now disconnected and everything is back to normal. I changed the password back in hopes the guy (if it is someone) will reconnect and maybe I can gather some information on where it was coming from. But for right now the speeds are back to normal. Is it possible to get a virus that can route traffic through your network, pretending to be a wirelse's device?

Solution
Wouldn't even have to pretend it would likely be a wireless device if they are piggybacking off your network. If a password change fixed that is likely the scenario.

atomicWAR

Distinguished
Herald
Sep 4, 2007
Wouldn't even have to pretend it would likely be a wireless device if they are piggybacking off your network. If a password change fixed that is likely the scenario.

Solution