Can an Acer C720 be used for coding?

techquestion

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I'm looking for a portable device that can be coded on at school. I'm wondering if a chromebook running Ubuntu would be good enough to program on (C++, Java, Python,...)

The C720 has an Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz and 2 gigs of ram with a 16 gig SSD.

G

the problem with putting ubuntu on a chromebook is that some devices might not work.

In the case of this notebook, Users have issues with the trackpad.

If you search around online, you'll find a couple of fixes and once you get around this, It would be a sure yes.

This fix seems to work on 13.10 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2190187
Just putting that there for easy reference.

techquestion

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Ok that sounds fine. As long as the hardware is capable of running IDEs, I can live with having to fix some device incompatibility. Thanks for the quick reply.

techquestion

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
In case anyone else has the same or a similar question, I purchased an hp chromebook 14 which has the same specs as the acer c720 (It just looks a lil nicer imo) and installed ubuntu 13.10 unity on it. It runs codeblocks just fine and I also tried Eclipse which ran fine as well. I can do some light gaming on it like The binding of Isaac, FTL, DUngeons of dredmore, etc. The battery life is around 7 hours when I play code, surf the web, have a word editor open and occasionally play some games. Over all I'm very satisfied and would recommend the same purchase.