can ata-5 hard drive be upgraded to ssd

bwtrix

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Satellite P25-S487 ata main hard drive is reporting problems is there an up grade path to ssd

Solution
You would find one on e-Bay or at a Computer Fair if they still exist where you live. Go for a 160GB.

Upgrade that RAM as well and if you aren't wedded to Microsoft utilities, use a Linux operating system.

That's the way to get speed out of older units that don't deserve going ot the tip.
I'm afraid not. Your existing drive is Parallel ATA and the newer version, including SSDs are Serial ATA.

You could buy a SATA SSD and run it off USB but it wouldn't be any benefit to you. Sadly, your laptop has age-related restrictions on speeding up the system any faster than it can now.

bwtrix

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

bwtrix

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
well this is a comfortable piece for my little home studio
with a firewire that connects to a audio mixer running a recording software package I own

can I still replace the pata with a new one (where to find ???)... it was upgraded to xp pro but willing to upgrade OS at this time ....
to something newer if it makes sense....I guess maybe a new computer would be smarter but don;'t use it that much and don't want to spend a lot of cash...

You would find one on e-Bay or at a Computer Fair if they still exist where you live. Go for a 160GB.

Upgrade that RAM as well and if you aren't wedded to Microsoft utilities, use a Linux operating system.

That's the way to get speed out of older units that don't deserve going ot the tip.

Solution