Can HDTV be played on a non HDTV?

grounder

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
I have 4 TV's in my home. 2 are HDTV's and the other 2 are old sets with tube. My cable company is Comcast. I have not been paying for there HD service but now I can afford the extra monthly charge.
If I get the HD service will I still be able to view the 2 older TV's?
I know they would not be in HD.
Thanks.

Solution
Not sure if this is the case for Comcast, but other cable/satellite providers set aside a specific channel range for HD content. It isn't shown on the same channel as it would normally air—those are shown in whatever standard they broadcast in. This is the case for me with FiOS and I imagine this would hold true for others. It should not affect your older TV's, although those TV's either won't be able to display those channels or the content would be downscaled. Never tried that myself, so I'm not sure.
Not sure if this is the case for Comcast, but other cable/satellite providers set aside a specific channel range for HD content. It isn't shown on the same channel as it would normally air—those are shown in whatever standard they broadcast in. This is the case for me with FiOS and I imagine this would hold true for others. It should not affect your older TV's, although those TV's either won't be able to display those channels or the content would be downscaled. Never tried that myself, so I'm not sure.

Solution