Solved! Can I ask This?

jarodatkinson

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
Hey all,

Firstly, I think (but hope not)_ it might be breaking a forum rule.... I want to back up my dvd collection..... VLC media player is not doing it for me..... just wondering if anyone knows a cheap alt that works well.... Most of my dvd's are more than five years old....

Secondly, I'm still using the link a top bloke was nice enough to give me to access the forum page.... any word when the forum will be linked to the front page again?

Finally, if I asked an inappropriate question in the first one, Can someone please let me know.... I understand copyright infringement etc.... I just figure I am the owner, so.......

Thanks....

Solution
Here are the guidelines that I follow:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-copy-and-rip-cds-2438418

Depending on where you live and the details there may be other concerns with respect to copyright, fair use, etc..

This post per se and the included link are not intended as legal advice and should not be considered or implied as being legal advice.

Nor should you try to bend or distort the guidelines. I do not do so and recommend that you do not do so.

Here are the guidelines that I follow:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-copy-and-rip-cds-2438418

Depending on where you live and the details there may be other concerns with respect to copyright, fair use, etc..

This post per se and the included link are not intended as legal advice and should not be considered or implied as being legal advice.

Nor should you try to bend or distort the guidelines. I do not do so and recommend that you do not do so.

Solution
Copying commercial DVDs these days usually involves circumventing the copy protection measures put in place by the publisher --- it's that circumvention that makes it illegal.

Any copying for profit/resale of course is definitely illegal anyhow, whether it involves breaking the copy protection or not.

I wouldn't risk any copying of commercial discs --- just take care of the originals and they'll last for decades. I've got enough problems finding room for the originals without having twice as many to deal with.

when I transferred my DVD collection to a nas drive in the house (because 3,612 dvd's really take a lot of space in a house and a nas drive does not)
I bought a simple commercial program called WINXD DVD RIPPER, works like a charm
https://www.winxdvd.com/?vcd5.9.9
made folders on the nas drives alphabetically and simply did them while watching football or run one at night, they take about 30-45 mins each, depending how high your encoding, I use 1080p H264 AAC 320bps to save space and because I dont own a 4K tv.
good luck... its a job all I can say.

I'll just say that, depending on the size of your library, this is a huge investment of time. I tried this with my own 200+ DVD library and you know what happened? The hard drive failed and I didn't have a back up (2TB Drives were kind of pricey back then). That cured me of any desire to have my library available to my network.

-Wolf sends

oh yeah it took months to get it all done but had a spare pc, that is all it id, once settings are done, its slap dvd in, rename output file press go, take shower get cleaned up, dressed, slap next cd, have breakfast read newspaper (yes I am that old), clean kitchen breakfast, slap new dvd. goto work come back for lunch slap a new dvd., go back to work, come back, slap a new dvd in, make supper, play with kids, slap a new dvd in, start a movie with family slap a new dvd, mid way slap another dvd, movie end, slap another dvd, get ready for bed, slap another dvd, wake up repeat. so about 9-10 a day so based on this say 10 a day (was more on weekend) it took me about a year … :) 200 DVD would take a month